"Our Happiness Has Been Destined; 'Cause You Love Me And I Love You..."

Listen To: "Serendipity" by BTS
———————————————————————

I'm not sure how long I'm sitting on the pier. A couple hours maybe, just watching people walk by. Families, couples, friends; it's all fascinating to watch.

I texted Ae when I got here and told her that I would be back at the hotel before dinner and she told me that that was perfect as she was out with an old friend she went to university with that lived in the area.

I feel someone sit on the bench next to me and look over to see a little girl staring at me, she couldn't be any older than 6. Her beautiful green eyes are striking and her raven hair is long over her tiny shoulders. I bring my hands up to quickly wipe any excess tears from my face and smile at her.

"Hi" she says to me.

"Hello," I say to her. I look around and don't see anyone looking for her or close to us keeping an eye out for her.

"You're so pretty. Why are you so sad?" She asks me. I tilt my head, a reaction to how sweet she is.

"Thank you," I say to her. "You're so pretty too," I continue. "I just had a really rough day," I tell her.

"Did someone break something that belonged to you?" She asks. "My friend Sal took my Barbie once and he ripped her head off and it made me sad," she says to me, frowning at the recollection of her memory.

"Kind of," I say to her. How do I tell a 6 year old that someone did break something that belonged to me and that it was my heart?

"Don't be sad. My momma says that sometimes, things happen for a reason. After Sal broke my Barbie, I was very sad but then at my birthday, I got 4 new Barbies and they were way better than my old one," she says with a smile.

"Your momma is right," I tell her with a small smile.

"Well then, maybe whatever is yours that's broken will be better soon. Maybe the broken one will be replaced and you'll be much happier," she says. Unbeknownst to her, she's imparting wisdom way beyond her years.

"That's very true. I'll definitely keep that in mind. You're very smart, you know?" I respond to her.

"Hannah!" I hear a worried voice shouting. "Hannah! There you are! Oh my gosh, sweetie. I've been looking for you everywhere," a woman comes up and scoops the little girl into her arms.

"Sorry Momma, I got lost in the crowd and I did what you told me. I found a space that seemed safe and waited for you. This nice lady was keeping me company,," she says with a smile.

"Thank you so much for sitting with her. I was losing my mind thinking that I'd lost her," her mom says to me. I smile at her.

"No problem at all. She's an angel," I tell her mom.

"Okay sweetheart, let's go. Grammy is waiting for us. Thanks again," she says to me warmly. Hannah turns around and stands in front of me.

"I hope you will be happy soon. Don't worry about what they broke, someone will fix it for you," she tells me. She waves and turns to grab her moms hand and she walks away, waving at me as she disappears into the crowd and a tear falls to my cheek. I never thought a 6 year old would be so wise.

I take a deep breath, get off the bench and decide to walk down to the beach. I find a spot that has no one nearby and I sit. I've ignored my phone for the last few hours and figured I should probably let them know that I'm okay.  I scroll through the list of missed calls, tap on the name and let the phone ring. He picks up instantaneously.

"Hi Sweet Thing," I hear his voice and immediately start to tear up again. God, why did I think I'd be strong enough to deal with the emotional breakdown of this conversation by myself?