37

"Well sir, I'm glad you could let go of her!" Smiled Nathalie innocently as she looked over to her superior who was driving and just simply nodded to her statement.

"Yeah me too! It feels great." He lied whilst in reality feeling more than guilty, even sorry for his sweet assistant who only meant good, but what she didn't know couldn't hurt her, therefore the designer kept this as a secret so that the smile on Nathalie's face wouldn't ever go away.

And by doing so not only was he hurting himself but also disallowing himself to actually move on from the past and now completely focus on his assistant.

Therefore Gabriel lied, and betrayed the young woman in such a way that it was painful for the both of them.

...

Once they arrived home to Paris it was already incredibly late at night and so dark outside that both adults were very tired.

So because of this, neither of them even hesitated when it came to sleeping, in fact, the two workers almost instantly went to bed.

The only difference this time was that they on purpose slept in the same bedroom as more than just work partners which didn't feel so weird as they've done this multiple times before, yet for some reason making their relationship official seemed difficult.

"So...you'd like me to-...maybe like hug you? Or do whatever couples do?" Gabriel asked as Nathalie appeared quite far away from him, however even when he tried to get closer she would move away causing the man to think that something was wrong with him.
Something obviously was, but as of right now that wasn't the main topic, instead the focus quickly became the grey haired man's hurt face as he almost teared up from Nathalie being so distant and cold towards him.

It was understandable, and a reasonable behavior, he just didn't like it.

Gabriel wanted to hold her, hug her, or just at least feel the woman close, but whatever he did she'd reject, and seemingly hate.

So with a depressed sight he laid on his side, facing the opposite way from his new 'girlfriend'.

"You hate me, don't you?"
"What?! Why would I sir?!" The young woman questioned only irritating her superior more and more with her clueless voice.

In fact, he got so annoyed that Gabriel couldn't even contain his anger and he just ended up shouting his following sentence:

"Well maybe because whatever I do you dislike!!" He ranted "And I can't really blame you because we all have things we don't like but damn it, just tell me if you absolutely despise me!"
"Sir...oh sir."  Nathalie chuckled a little whilst crawling close and hugging the man from behind "I don't hate you! And I most definitely don't hate the things you try to do! I was just simply tired, and when I'm tired I'm a bit grumpy...so...excuse my attitude!"
"O-oh sorry." He turned back "then may I hold you now? If I ask very nicely in hopes of not making sleepy Nathalie mad."
"Well." She smirked crawling even closer "sure hold me, but don't do anything too much as this is still very unbelievable and new, plus..."
"Plus?"

The dark haired woman stopped answering and just shook her head:

"Uhm-...nothing...today I just got reminded of someone...b-but it's fine, you s-shouldn't worry about it!"
"Nathalie! I worry about everything! So you better tell me!!"

The assistant looked away for a second feeling embarrassed but as her superior almost immediately dragged her face back she knew there was no escaping this situation.

Therefore Nathalie just sighed and began with a quiet whisper in hopes that this way the man wouldn't be too worried:

"Oh okay well-...Amelie's lover looks-...he looks a lot like Tom...you know who that is right?"
"Yes, continue."
"And well...it felt strange talking to him. Almost as if he himself would've been Tom, but he isn't, it's just my mind playing trick on me, and I hate it!"
"That's fine!" Gabriel gently kissed the top of her head in a comforting way, before laying an arm around the precious woman  "I mean no it's not fine because Tom is a horrible person who deserves to be behind bars but it's completely normal to imagine the face of such a hated person like him from your life, because that's just what our crazy minds do. But don't worry, because in reality I'm here to protect you, I promise."