60

The woman had let go of her husband by now, so, at last the brown haired man wasn't suffocating, instead, he could focus all his attention onto his wife and try to help her calm down.

Though they both knew that it wouldn't be easy.

"Why is it not that simple?" Martin cluelessly asked to which Alice took a deep breath in, and the room fell silent.

She was preparing to explain something important, something that would change the course of the conversation.

The pause before they spoke seemed to last an eternity, creating a sense of suspense that filled the room.

Nevertheless, eventually the blonde haired woman began to speak:

"I can't just call the police on Tom because my whole family works in that damn business!" She sighed hopelessly. "My mom, her lover, Felix, his girlfriend, and a bunch more. So they will be all exposed if I call the police, and I can't let any of them get caught, they're innocent."

"Innocent?" Martin's voice sounded surprised. "I don't mean to offend anyone in your family my love, but if they're involved in what Tom is doing then-"

"Well at least they don't have blood on their hands like he does!" Alice cut him off, a bit frustrated still, but with the help of a few deep breaths she managed to calm herself down.

"They simply want to make some money." Her voice became quieter. "Plus..." now the woman hesitated to continue.

Alice looked away from her husband in order to break their eye contact, however, Martin being Martin couldn't have ignored his wife's unusual behavior.

"Plus?" The man's voice questioned as he stepped closer to her. "Plus what, my dear?"

"I-I c-can't-"

"Come on." He cut her off, stepping so close that Alice couldn't have even escaped her husband in any way.

Essentially, the brown haired man had her cornered and everything was to his advantage, they were both aware of this.

Though Martin didn't want to seem threatening, so, the moment he spotted that bit of fear in his wife's eyes, the man lowered himself to such a point at which he would be shorter than her and looking up at the woman.

"What the-" Alice was about to begin, except she got interrupted before she could've finished

"So I can hear better when you're telling me stuff." Martin explained with his usual smile widely present on his face.

The blonde haired woman couldn't have truly said no to him even if she would've wanted to, his eyes, his face, his look, it all made her feel understood.

Alice knew he was the most trustable person in her life, therefore, there wasn't much of a reason as to why she should hold back this information.

"Well..." she sighed. "If I'd call the police they might also take me away because I too used to work in that business, in fact, I still occasionally borrow some money."

"What?" Martin's expression had turned confused, now his eyes almost judgmentally stared at his wife, or maybe Alice was simply overthinking everything.

However, the young woman's mind didn't get eased in any way when her husband asked:

"You still take money from that place?"

She became even more anxious to answer.

"Y-y-yes." Alice hesitantly stuttered. "Why?"

For some unexplainable reason she was scared, terrified even.