Chapter 20

Ciane

He was avoiding me like the plague and whenever we made eye contact, he'd almost instantly avert his eyes or completely exit the room. He had told me apart of his life really and I wanted to just share with him a sliver of mine. He was however nowhere to be seen.

I sighed as I added wolfsbane to the coffee I was drinking. The bitter liquid turning even more bitter if not utterly painful to consume. I was growing used to it though and I ignored the feeling of it flowing down my throat.

I was about to take another sip when Christian's heavy footsteps echoes right behind me. I quickly shuffle and turned to stare at him. He only quickly glanced at me before and walked towards the stairs.

"Christian, can we talk?"

He was quiet for a few seconds before walking towards me and plopping down on the sit right next to me. I did not want to begin the conversation and luckily I did not have to.

"I'm sorry," My eyes widen.

"What?" I mutter, utterly shocked.

"Don't make me repeat it." He sighs.

"Why?" I ask perplexed, eyes focusing on him.

"Forcing answers out of you while I did not even explain myself to you." He sighs.

"Who are you an what have you done to Christian?" I ask, my eyes still wide open, gaping at him.

"Yeah yeah whatever but honestly, you were there to nurse my wounds when no one was and that's quite alright of you. I should have thanked you then." He grumbles, looking very uncomfortable making me realize it's not something he does so often.

I guess he forgot the fact that it's only the two of us in this forsaken mansion in the middle of nowhere. And if he was to die, I'd be on my own. I kept the thought to myself.

"Why now? What changed?" I ask, cautious of this suddenly nice Christian.

"Wait, is this another one of your mind games because if it is, then I'm done." I state, getting quite mad.

"No it's not." He glares, going quiet for a few seconds before continuing, "I don't trust you too, if that eases your worries."  Really? No it doesn't. I glare at him.

"Okay, that's rude." I state, staring at him, my face blank.

"What am I supposed to say then?" He grumbles.

"The apology will do."

"Okay," he says staring at me expectantly.

"What?"

"What did you want to talk to me about?" He asks.

I realized at that moment he's speaking more words to me recently  than he has for the last couple of months I've been here.

"Oh, right. Since I practically forced you to tell me who Anabelle is to you, I wanted to tell you how I know her." I say, my eyes on him.

"You don't have to, really." This isn't Christian. What happened to the heartless guy?

"Are you sure you're okay?" I grumbled, my eyes scanning his face that looked identical to Christian's, only the personality doesn't match.

"Ciane, you can either go on with it, or leave me alone." He snarls, getting mad. Jeez. Bipolar much.

"No need to get mad for nothing." I sighed, my eyes leaving his face, "I know her because she is my ex mate sister." I whisper, rather very softly.

I don't see or note his reaction. There's only silence.

My eyes fall on him but his eyes had glazed over.

"Christian, what is wrong?" I whisper.

"But that would make you Exus' mate? How?" He states.

Of course he knows my ex mate. The man who was responsible for the my tears and years of pure torment.

"You know Exus?" That question sounded stupid even to my own ears. There's no way he'd not know Exus.

His fist clench tightly on his sides, eyes glaring at the carpeted floor with so much rage and hate in them. He gives me a subtle nod that I almost miss.

"What happened?" I was pushing my luck but the more he answered my questions, the more curious I became. He was mad, I could tell from the claws that were already digging deeply into his flesh.

"You don't need to answer if you don't want to Christian. If it's making you uncomfortable, you don't have to." I explain, and he lets out a breath of air, his fist unclenching. He did not want to talk about it and I understood because I also did not want to speak myself. I know he knew that something pretty bad happened in the past to me and I know he has a pretty good idea who it involves.

Silence rings out in the living room, both of us deep in our own thoughts when suddenly a thought goes through my mind.

"You would be my brother-in-law." I state quietly.

A small chuckle escapes his mouth as his eyes lightly light up with humor. His soulless dark eyes looked rather enchanting at that quick second and I couldn't help appreciate his face. Even with the scar that occupied the left side of his face, he looked handsome.

Hold up! Nope! Never go there!

I reprimand myself as I quickly look away from him.

He doesn't respond so I continue, as if talking to myself.

"I wonder how that would have been." I wonder out loud, trying to imagine a cold emotionless Christian as my brother-in-law. It did not suit him.

We fall into silence once again not knowing exactly what to talk about after avoiding each other for almost an entire year now. Christian had been focused on training me and being mean and I did the same while trying to avoid Christian.

"Okay, this is weird. I've never pictured us sitting together talking you know." I chuckle, the sound leaving my lips, nervous and before he can reply I continue, "Maybe, we can finally be friends?" I say.

I was really pushing it today and knowing Christian he could actually easily reject the whole idea and walk away. However, I don't regret the question.

"Friends?" He raises a brow.

"Yeah, friends." I raise my hand for him to shake it.

He hesitantly lifts his and places in mine. It was the first time we were holding my hand willingly, all the other times being forced contacts between the two of us.

I firmly shake it, a small smile slipping to my lips. I glance up at his face and a small one, barely there lit up his. He looked less harsh and more human than I have ever seen him. The dark shadow always clouding him less visible.

"So what should we do now as friends?" He asks, emphasizing on 'friends' before letting go of my hand.

"We should spar now that we are friends." I reply, my eyes falling on him.

"That's a good idea." He shoots up from his sit and began walking towards the small training field.

I follow my new "friend", feeling my heart warm for the first time in what feels like forever.

*

Sooo Christian had a change of heart?
What happened to my brooding man?

Was it all so sudden? Idk but they've had quite a journey.

So what are your predictions and thoughts?

Vote. Comment. Share.

Lots of love❤️ :)