Chapter 23

Ciane

I was fifteen.

Fifteen when Night Star Pack was brought to the ground. Demolished. Many members of the pack were killed and I heard the few that survived fled. I never knew how it happened and did not bother. I empathized with the pack but couldn't do anything for the I was in my own hell.

Night Star Pack was among the strongest packs and for it to crush and burn almost in an instant was shocking. I recall almost vividly that a week before the pack's demise, Exus and his sister who were already barely there at the pack, disappeared and when he showed up, his anger had doubled, his eyes cold and barely containing any emotion. I remember the beating, the crude words, the scars that embedded themselves to my skin and soul. It was one of the worst times of my life and try as I might, the memories would never leave me.

Yet, at this moment I couldn't understand how Christian belonged to a pack that was annihilated five years ago. A pack that has barely crossed my mind since then.

"How is that possible?" My voice is barely audible as I ask the question.

"I was among the few survivors." He said, and I could almost feel the raw pain from those few words.

"I'm so sorry." It's the only thing I could offer him at that moment.

"Yeah, it is what it is." He murmurs before getting up and walking away. I did not know what to say to make the situation better.

I couldn't even try to understand how he feels. Losing ones pack must hurt so much especially if most of the pack members die. I sigh and head to my room.  It quite sad to think of the fact that I don't have anything to do or anyone else to talk to. I don't have a phone and I have zero friends. Never had any in the pack and now it's just me and Christian.

Even though I don't want to admit it, he's my first friend. I could never seem to make friends, no matter how much I tried, how much I tried to fit in in the pack, it was just never enough and when my parents died, Exus noticed me. Noticed a vessel he could take his anger out on. I groan rubbing my forehead as I open the door to my room.

I slam the door to and fall face first on the bed, trying to keep the thoughts of that man at bay. That man who keeps plaguing my mind for all the wrong reasons.  And I thought wolves were supposed to love their mates regardless of their actions. If they are horrible or not to them. Yet, the only emotion I feel for him is hot burning rage and hate. Hate for all the times he hurt me, all the smug looks he would give me after a thorough beating, all the times he'd let his sister join in the fun.

I roll over and shut my eyes trying to shut my mind too. Shut all the memories of them too. Unconsciously, my mind drift to Christian. I could now understand the reason for his cold and detached behavior. For his barely readable expressions. The need to hide for if he revealed his emotions, it'll only portray the pain, hurt and agony he feels within. There's a lot I don't know about him but for the first time, I understand him.

I don't know how long I get lost in my thoughts but a loud knock from the door snaps me from the crude thoughts. I glance to the window and realize it's already dark. I did not even notice the time. My eyes focus back to the door. The only other person here with me is Christian but I couldn't help but cautiously walk to the door and pulled it open, preparing for a fight.

My eyes widen when I take in Christian who is slightly hunched back, his eyes quite red, a bottle in hand, strong smell of liquor and wolfsbane flowing from him.

"Christian?" I question very confused by his behavior. I have never seen him consume alcohol. I did not even think he had them at all.

"Ciane," he slurs the word out and takes a step forward only for him to stumble and almost falls to the floor. I'm quick enough to stabilize him before he crashes down.