Chapter 28

------

Ciane

"Why?"

Why would Exus attack Christian's pack? Why would he do that? I know he's a psychopath but attacking packs?

"That's impossible! I keep track and records of the alpha's whereabouts and all the plans he has except. . ." Jonah trails off.

"Except what?" I inquire.

"A few years back Exus and Anabelle disappeared for about two weeks. He did no bother telling me where he was heading. He told no one. You even asked me about it, remember?" Jonah reveals, his eyes wide open, mouth on the floor.

I vividly remember that. When he returned, he showed me how much of a monster he really is.

Christian who has been listening in, suddenly let's out a boisterous growl before storming away, the anger radiating off of him deadly and completely scary. I'm left with a scared and out of place Jonah. I'm wise enough to let him go.  Knowing that Exus has hurt his sister must be painful and there's nothing he can do about it.

"I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. That wasn't my intentions really." Jonah confesses, thoroughly rubbing the back of his neck, the awkward reaction duly noted.

I couldn't blame him though. I
However I can't help but wonder what the glowing ring symbolizes. I have never seen one so intricately designed or so peculiar.

"Why did Olivia give you the ring and what does it mean?" I ask, not able to keep my curiosity away.

"She did not elaborate it to me. She only told me it would lead me to her brother. The only reason I went there was because Exus has been too lazy and too occupied to check on anything in the pack. He has always been secretive and with his current depression I found it a good opportunity to snoop around. I'm his beta for goddess's sake and I barely get any information out of him." Jonah rants, rolling his eyes in annoyance, getting quite comfortable in presence.

I cringe at the mention of Exus, the thoughts of that disgusting man floating to my mind.

"I'm sorry." It's all I can offer.

Jonah's eyes meet mine and a frown falls on his face as he studies my face rather uncomfortably.

"Exus has not been the same since that night you left. He has grown harsher and completely detached from reality. He force shifted, nearly killed a few pack members. He's an emotional wreck." Jonah says, running his hand over his dark blonde hair, signs of distress showing on his face.

What shocks me is the force shift. It's the most painful thing that can happen to a wolf. However, I fail to see how all this concern me.

"And how does that have to do with me?" I ask perplexed.

"Ciane, he's your mate. The one created for you by the goddess, surely you must even feel a sliver of concern and care for him." Jonah asks almost shocked by my nonchalance.

Concern? Care?

A dark cackle almost escape my lips with those claims.

"Jonah, you must have me confused with the Ciane that was once in Wolf Creek. I am not her. I will never be her. I don't care what happens to Exus. He means nothing to me, nothing you hear." I glare so fiercely at him he looks away instantly.