Chapter Two

In some way or another I've always expected people to screw me over. But after what Fernando just told me, I realize I extremely underestimated the Millers. I thought they were on a one way route to bankruptcy but clearly I was wrong. Now I need to breathe, calm down and figure out a plan, before I get pissed off more than I already am and punch someone.

"Alice, call Mariana up, and tell her to come now. This can't wait," I tell Alice through my office intercom.

"On it, ma'am,"

I want to tell Mariana what I just found, regardless of the fact that I don't need to. I'm the one in charge of handling the business while she handles the product for our clients and sub companies, but I like to keep her informed about major company problems. This little stunt the Millers pulled is definitely one of them.

"Alice, will you bring me the contracts that need my signature. I'll be going out and I want to have them signed before I leave." I say and the next second Mariana bursts through my office doors.

"This better be important Val, I was in the middle of a meeting about the magazine release this month," She says standing in my door.

"Come, sit down," I say, signaling at the chair in front of my desk.

"What happened?" She notices my pissed off mood, and takes a seat, looking confused as to why I asked her to sit. She's one of the few that actually notices the little things I can't stop from doing when I'm mad

Mariana and I have very different reactions to things. And even though I am pissed, I know she will have a bigger reaction and get upset letting her emotions and anxiety take over. I do want to tell her but I don't want her to freak out about this. I have it handled

"Fernando called, we have an issue," saying it as relaxed as I possibly can. She raises an eyebrow at me waiting for me to continue.

"He informed me that the Millers have our legal team in their pockets. Because of this we were not notified, when the Millers filed a very hefty intelligence theft lawsuit against us on one of our book deals."

According to Fernando the Millers bought out our very well paid legal team, because of this we've had a lawsuit hanging over our heads for three weeks. Thankfully the time limit to respond hasn't passed yet, but we're a week away. We need to find new lawyers and fast because this could spook our clients, and hurt our reputation we've spent years building.

"Shit, of course it had to be the fucking Millers," she says, stroking her face in frustration. Her comment lightens my mood a little bit, she was never too fond of them either, also Mariana usually doesn't curse.

"What are our steps moving forward?" she asks, now taking through her hair making a mess out of her curls. She is panicking, and when she starts to panic, the only people that can calm her are Mark and me.

"I'm finishing sorting through a plan, but you need to calm down for me," Being the more level-headed of the two, I am the one that has to sort through a plan, but I don't mind because that is how our lives, relationship and work functions. I like to wait out my emotions until the problem is solved while Mariana lets her emotions take control of her mind. Even though neither of our strategies may always be helpful, that's what makes each of us good at what we do. Mariana being artistic and portraying the emotions she feels in her work, while my level-headedness is good for handling business.

"Calm down, you want me to calm down," she says dryly, in a tone I very much don't appreciate. I'm in the same situation as she is, and even though it was my family I didn't know they were going to do this. This is my company as well and they are still hurting me.

"We are being sued, and you want me to be calm," she repeats bitterly, I just look at her not saying anything. I don't want to say something I'm going to regret later.