Chapter Sixty-Two

It's New Year's Eve and I was forced to go out with Mariana, Mark, and Damon. Mark and Damon joined us yesterday, both tried to pry me off work to have 'fun' and both failed miserably. The only reason I'm not at work right now is because I'm not crazy enough to force employees and security guards to work on New Year's eve. At least not yet. Damon has already given me the pep talk about how I don't need a man and how we could both be the single best friends forever together. Mark told me how much it sucked because he was starting to like the guy, and how he saw him and punched him. I don't know where Mark saw him or how I just simply knew he punched him, because apparently Mark wasn't in the mood to share details. Regardless, the fact remains that it does suck. My whole situation with Aiden is more than the fact that we broke up. Is the fact that he used me and no one knows how much, except for Mariana.

I didn't want to tell her at first, but the air in the seven hour airplane ride to Spain was tense and I didnt know what to do besides opening up to my best friend. She did as she usually does, and gave me three options: drink, distraction, talk. And I told her to be an overachiever and aim for all three, we had seven hours either way right?

No matter how much work I've put in myself, the second I'm not busy my mind starts to fill with all the details about my life these past few months, my whole life really. Doubting the moment Fernando called me all those months ago to tell me the Millers were suing, to the night almost a week ago where he called me with the information of sister. That night after I was done crying, I just stared at my wall thinking. Everything that has happened in my life finally started to make sense, every piece started to take place in the puzzle.

My sister Aubrey was told she would be the next heir of Millers Media, our family company, which my mother so desperately wanted to run. When we crashed onto a lake and faced a near death experience, my sister took the opportunity to flee her duty to Millers Media with the help of my mother and her lawyer. Aubrey created her life in Atlanta, having a husband and kids now. But my mother never got what she wanted, she never got to control Millers Media. Either way when she found out I was looking into Aubrey, she decided to help me with the lawsuit that the Millers had laid on my company. Which she really wasn't helping because she sent me to Elijah Black, the lawyer who helped my sisters escape all those years ago. Elijah Black assigned his son to my case, that's where Aiden comes in. I assume he was told to keep tabs on me and my relations to find out what happened with Aubrey. I suppose my mother didn't want me to find out what happened to Aubrey because I would run to everyone and tell her what she did. But that's where she was wrong, maybe when I was sixteen and wanted to know where my sister was I would have told everyone what my mother did. But now I could care less. She's a selfish woman that I don't want anything to do with anymore. And my sister doesn't want anything to do with me. Maybe someday I'll reach out to her, but that's not time soon. Strangely what hurts the most out of all this isnt my sister abandoning me, or discovering my mother most likely caused the accident that haunts me every night deliberately, but Aiden. It hurts to think that someone I care so much about was just there manipulating me, digging information just to get a position in a firm. And not only do I care for him, but he fed me lies too. Telling me how much he loves me, cares for me, and a lot of fucking bullshit.

Right now I just want to focus on myself. That's all I need to focus on. On myself, and my company and getting back on track. Because no matter what happened, Damon is right. I don't need a man, or anyone else for that matter. Not Aiden, not my sister, not my mother, but my company and probably Mariana. The only things that seem to be my reasons to keep going. I wake up and work, I barely sleep working. Before I used to think if my sole purpose in life would be work, but then Aiden happened, and I did something besides being holed up in my apartment working or reading. Now here I am going back to my old ways.