Chapter 30

"Michael" Afton
It was a pain, but I fixed it, I got them out of the situation and now it was out of my control. I was shot in the leg. Having it being my already fucked up leg, it wasn't that big of a deal. I drove myself to the base hospital where a raging agent was waiting for me. A doctor at the ready. I opened the door, thank you tinted windows. They all stop and stared at me.

"Cut it off... It hurts," I said. I don't remember what happens next. It wasn't until I was having my hands washed by a kind nurse did I understand I did almost lose my leg. I glared at the sorry excuse of a limb. I heard the door and heavy footsteps. I don't bother to look. It's Wolfe and he's either here to scold me or interrogate me as usual. I decide to beat him today. No mood for his usual bullshit.

"I was helping them out. They're lucky no one else was shot," I said. I felt a soft grip on my shoulder. I laid back and looked up.

"I know, you should've called back up," Wolfe said. It's not the normal fiery hatred. It's not pity either and bloody hell I wish it was. I don't understand his expression, I don't understand the feeling of waves he's giving off. Instead, I'm stuck with the evergrowing snowstorm that's trying to break into the room through the hospital window. The snow doesn't stop and the winds only pick up. I closed my eyes.

"I... I'm sorry," I said. It's quiet. I know what's gonna happen next. It's not forgiving, fate never is.

I was cleared pretty quickly and was told no assignments would be given in my time of healing. Healing. It sounds human. I talked with Lyola for a while. I was in my room. The house was nice, quiet, and away from it all. By the lake, in the forest. Cabins were the only ones near, many were veterans, ex-mercenaries, and others who chose the secluded life. It was a blessing until it twist. Being alone in my head made the snow wild. Soon I was stuck in a storm, sipping my cuppa. Nothing I could do. It was gonna be found. I enjoyed the time. I was reading a book when a car pulled up. I recognized it, a car Will stole from our mother. Checked for bugs no doubt. The teens get out of the car. Some looked a little more fucked up than others. I wasn't gonna open the door. Will lets himself in any way. When Will slammed the door open, we made eye contact.

"How long?" He snapped.

"Will-" he interrupts me, seconds, and a gun is aimed at my head for the fourth time today.

"Don't bullshit me. How long?" He growled.

"Always. But lately, you've become reckless. So I've grown slightly cautious. Look Wilbur why don't you have a seat? Introduce your friends?" I said. Anything to take the anxiety building up. Will's flame dies and he dumbed the ammo before throwing the empty gun at the wall. I let out a breath of relief. The children are cautious but sit near me. I instruct Will on where to find cups, drinks, first aid supplies, and snacks. It was a safe house. My space invaded. Once Will makes sure everyone is okay, excluding Everly's kid. She never interested me but her infatuation with Killian did. Will sat down in front of me, legs crossed, I realized his hand was wrapped while the other blew off. I glared at it. Bitch.

"Explain," Will hissed.

"Well-" Saved by the bell. Wolfe walked in with groceries and medication. He looked at me then Ares, then back at me before looking at the kids. He scratched his head before placing the stuff down and leaving again.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"I need a fucking beer!" Wolfe yelled.

"Who's Ares?" Will asked. I turned to him. My baby brother, part of my world sitting in front of me like he did when I read him that stupid pirate alphabet book.

"You. You're Ares," I said.

"Wow," Jaime said. Belle's kid said. His mouth opened with chewed-up popcorn. I scrunched my nose in disgust. Ares's eyes widen.

"Ares is the little boy born of Luisa Castrel. We're adopted. Luisa gave us up to our mother. I took you away to our father when you were four and Lyola was barely one. I changed your name to Wilbur and Harry helped. She was a nun but she did work for the CIA. I did it for your safety Will. I promise.

"My name is Ares," he repeated.

"Ares Castrel. My name was Apollo and Lyola was Athena,"

"War runs in the family?" Greg snorts. Jaime choked as he laughed. Tony giggled and Sam rolled his eyes laughing. I smiled.

"I suppose so," I said.

"That doesn't answer anything?" Lucifer said. He was sulking, pouting in the corner near Mikasa and the baby.

"What would you like to know?"

"Hey! I'm not done!" Will said.

"We have time. Now, what is it Lucifer?" I asked.

"My mom. What did she have to do with anything? Who's Killian, who's Armani Ramirez?" Lucifer was gonna keep going when I raised a hand. He flinched but stayed put.

"Killian's full name is Killian Marshell. Your mother's middle name was Charos correct?" I said. Lucifer nods.

"Denise Charos Halperin. She picked a different last name for me," Lucifer confirmed.

"Her name in Detroit was Mother Charos, Mother Death. She was the family head of the Reaping. She ran this school for young orphans. Killian was one of her students, elite. He stayed until Charos was found by CIA agent Frank. He was corrupted to put it kindly and well you know that story. She has placed a hit due to her status and knowledge. Ramirez is a nobody. A rat trying to gain status. He won't be alive much longer. He caused a war down in the Americas. Your mother was my teacher. She taught Ares but he was too little. A sleeper agent like other children who were too young," I said. Lucifer was quiet.

"Why didn't she ever fight back?"

"You. They threatened you against her. She's cold, not heartless," I said.

"She should've fought," Lucifer mumbled. He hugged himself. Greg leaned against him. It's barely anything. I looked at Ares. How confused and hurt he looked.

"Yeah. Maybe fighting was the right way to do it," I said. Ares looked at me. He pursed his lips before looking away once more. Fighting a war I was not meant to fight in, but that's the life of the innocent.