Chapter 39:

Lucifer Laurens
It wasn't like I was dead. I knew I wasn't. I was just floating. Floating in nothingness. Did anyone miss me? Would they have cared? I wonder where is everyone. I wonder if they made it out.

There's an annoying beeping. It's getting louder and I can't stand it.

"Shut that off," I mumbled. My throat is dry. I opened my eyes and it was not what I expected. There's a soft light coming from a small lamp in the corner. I see a few cards and gifts. A stuffed fox on the bed. I touched it delicately noticing its orange coat and sewn so there were three legs and the fourth is shorter. Not long enough to be usable. I stretched a bit and found a cup of water on the table. I grabbed it and took a sip. I can see a few shadows of people outside the window. My throat felt much better after the water.

"Hello?" I said. I cleared my throat since the first time sounded awful. "Anyone?" I called. The door slides open and there's a bunch of confused faces. A few looked familiar. One stood out. Ms Diana. She took off the scarf and showed her black hair.

"Hello Lucifer," she said. I was surprised she was here. Figured maybe she wanted to see her friends though, not me.

"Ms Diana?" I said. She's wearing a black trench coat, and her red scarf covered her hair.

"I know it's a little complicated right now," She whispered getting closer. I nod slowly.

"The woman I thought my Mom was a stranger. I don't even know my Mom," I cried. I wiped my tears with the back of my hand.

"I'm sorry angel," she said sitting on the bed. I stared at her for a second.

"I'm sorry my angel. You're such a strong boy. I promise I'll come back, baby. I promise Mommy loves you," she cried. I begged her not to leave. A man kneeled in front of me taking her place.

"I'm sorry. Please forgive us. I wish to say you'd understand when you were older but this... This is messy. Now stiffen up my soldier," I heard. I nod and stand up straight. Crying slightly as they kissed my head and told me to stay put as they knocked on the door.

I'm greeted by a kind woman. She said to call her Mom.

"I don't understand anything!" I bawled. She hugged me tight.

"I know my soldier. But you trudged on and we're proud of you. I'm proud of you," Diana whispered. I pulled away. Black hair, tan skin. Her eyes were red like mine. Under her coat, she wore a red dress. I touched her face delicately.

"You left me?" I said.

"They forced me to. Lucifer I was fifteen and they took me away when you were five. Mother made me say goodbye and dropped you off. I promised I tried everything I could to get you back but they just kept moving you away," Diana cried. So now we were holding each other sobbing. I cried out about how much I wanted her back. She cried telling me how much she regretted everything.

Through the tears, I can see someone else getting wheeled by. It's Wilbur. He's gotten back from surgery. He's talking nonsense for the most part. I looked at Diana.

"You're my mom?" I asked. She nodded. I'm eighteen. She must be around thirty-two. Diana looked ashamed of herself.

"I'm sorry," Diana whispered. I didn't understand. I couldn't and a harsh migraine was making itself known. I laid back. "Ask me anything. I swear I will tell you everything you want," Diana said holding my hand tightly.

"Did you want me," I said. I brace myself for the answer. I looked in her eyes filled with tears. She's got a lighter version of my eyes.

"I wanted you so badly. Here," she said digging through her bag. She found a book. A Photo album? Her voice quivered as she opened it. The first photo is of a family. It's a fifteen-year-old Diana... A seventeen-year-old boy they were holding me together. He had a mullet.

"That's uh... That's me, you at four months and your father. That's Franky Laurens Delarosa," she said. Franky had dyed hair, wore a tank top that had a band logo on it, ripped jeans and boots. They dressed me almost like him.

"That's... That's Frank?" I said.

"You look just like him," Diana said. She goes through each photo, from the nursery to milestones. She has a photo of our first concert. Frank took us to Led Zeppelin. I'm on his shoulders wearing clunky headphones. We both wore black pants, and boots and the shirt was a pink tie-dye. I laughed through tears. My body ached.

"My parents loved me!" I said. Diana nods and hugged me.

"Yes! Yes, I swear to God we loved you!"

.

.

.

Ares
I decided against the name. I looked around my room. I was sharing with Wolfe and Michael. Michael was still asleep. They rid his leg. Cut at the hip nearly, his arm in a cast, and plenty of stitching. My neck was in a brace, I'd lost both legs and my hand. Wolfe broke his shoulder and ripped a few muscles and ligaments too. Half his right leg was in a cast and wore an eye patch. He was somewhat awake. I looked over at him slightly. He looked exhausted. His eyes closed.

"Why did you try to help me?" I asked.

"Because I'm awesome," Wolfe mumbled. I smiled.

"Not because you're trying to get in my brother's pants?" I teased.

"I don't need to help for that. I already did," Wolfe raised his fist with victory.

"Wolfe shut up," Michael grumbled before snoring again.

"What?"

"Nah, I care for him so I care for you. Can't save him if I can't save you," Wolfe mumbled more nonsense. I nod a bit before hissing in pain. My neck hurts?

"Go to sleep," Wolfe said.

"I'm not tired," I said.

"I am so fucking tired so sleep kid," Wolfe said. I sighed and tried to do so. I wonder if Michael wanted him to shut up because he was right or if he was just embarrassed by Wolfe's behaviour.