Chapter 38

Gregory Dean
I shivered as Wilbur's warm breath was on my ear. I had my hands on his chest. I just beat a man senselessly. I'm pretty sure he's dead. Wilbur's hand on my lower back. I can't focus.

"Wilbur," I whispered. His thumb rubbed my hip gently. He shushed me and held me against his chest. I can't see anything. It's dark. I held on tight to the fabric of his shirt. Am I shaking?

"Sorry... It's just... I'm sorry," Wilbur said. I hear yelling. I heard Lenny and Jaime. Jaime, please be careful. Wolfe... Where was the agent? Where was Tony? Sam better have gotten out.

"Are we gonna die?" I tried to keep my voice steady.

"No. You aren't gonna die," Wilbur said. I heard the ceiling break down again somewhere else. I coughed too much smoke. "Hold on," Wilbur said. He forced me to the ground. There's no 'look'. There's just worry. His cheek, I winced seeing it exposed inside his mouth. Above his eyes is oozing. I cradled his face. He's bleeding. There's blood pooling.

"You're too damn injured," I said covering my mouth with the bandana he gave me earlier. Wilbur gave me a soft smile before giving me a hug?

"Let's get you out of here," Wilbur's voice cracked. He begins to crawl and I called him. The beams crashed around us. I noticed he didn't use his right hand. It's so fucking hot. It was getting harder to breathe. There's one more exit. I hear sirens. In seconds the supports decide to break. I panicked but Wilbur stood up and was able to catch them. There's a sickening pop. He's coughing.

"Wilbur!" I yelled. It's an exit downstairs.

"Hurry up bunny," Wilbur choked on smoke. I nod and run through. I still have the envelope. Wilbur let the beams go the moment he slipped through. He placed his shirt collar over his nose. I put his arm over my shoulders as we go downstairs. There's a blood trail from Apollo's wrath and Chesed's rage. The stairs collapsed in a certain area. There is a bright light. There's fire everywhere. There are beams collapsing, and barrels of alcohol and gasoline exploding. Wilbur wraps his arms around me, protecting my back and head.

"We're not gonna make it," I said. My throat feels dry. Everything is hurting, I'm tired.

"You're gonna be fine," Wilbur mumbled.

"Why do you keep saying -" he doesn't let me finish, everything was quick. We're on the floor. The air was knocked out of me. We're on the last floor. Nearly there.

"Wilbur! We're almost there!" I said excitedly. Wilbur's grip was no longer there. He was limp. People have so much blood.

"Good, run. Get out of here," Wilbur said weakly.

"No! What about you?!" My eyes burn from the smoke. He cradled my cheek. The shine is dimming fast.

"I'd love you," his voice is barely audible.

"What's stopping you?" I put his head on my lap. He closes his eyes. "No no, stay with me!" I said. I start dragging him. I take a risky move and I scream. I yell as I drag him to the exit. Wilbur is barely awake.

Nearly there.

"Greg?!" I heard. I smiled. Jaime was alive!

"Jaime!" I yelled. I can't turn around. My fingers ache. I'm feeling weaker as I took each step. I tripped on a beam, hitting the concrete hard. Wilbur, I pulled Wilbur, I screamed in pain. My wrist and forearm burned.

"Greg! I'm coming!" I heard. Suddenly we're moving a lot faster. I looked over and Wolfe is helping me pull. He was on his knees. He's bloody and bruised.

"Don't stop," he coughed. He's coughing blood. There were smudges of soot on his face, and his right eye was damaged completely.  I nod as we continue. I closed my eyes, desperate as every muscle burned as we dragged Will. I hear multiple footsteps. I look at the door. There were beams that were starting to close it off. It's cluttered but we could squeeze through... A teenager could squeeze through. Wolfe started to slow down. He collapsed and didn't get up.

"Wolfe? Wolfe?!" I panicked. He hummed. "Wilbur?" I cried. I didn't want to be alone.

"Hmm?" They were barely hanging on. I looked at him. He covered a bullet wound. It's soaking his shirt. Light blue and red don't go together. I remove the bandana.

"One kiss?" I whispered.

"You're not eighteen," he joked.

"I won't tell," I smiled. He nods. I kissed him gently. I don't want to hurt him more. He doesn't move. I pulled away and there was a tiny smile. I put the bandana back on.

"I can't move. Sorry bunny," Wilbur said. I nodded and brushed the hair from his face.

"It's alright. Just stay with me," I said. He gave a bigger smile before closing his eyes. I panicked but before I could say anything he took a deep breath.

"Still here," he said. Began tugging him. I looked at Wolfe.

"Please Wolfe. Don't die on me," I said. He gave me a weak thumbs up. I smiled through tears.

"Greg!" I heard. It's Mickey! Mikasa is able to go under the beams. So is McLennan. They have thick gloves and try to lift the beams. Just enough. Jaime slips through. I hear a barrel close by explode. My legs hurt. Jaime had a horrid expression on his face. The smoke is too much. I begin to sob.

"Bunny... Be ok," Wilbur struggled to say. I sobbed harder. The bandana is soaked. Jaime kept low before he hugged me.

"God damn it G," Jaime sighed. He grabbed me and starts dragging me to the exit. Lucifer.

"Where is Lucy?" I mumbled. Jaime instructed me to grab around his neck so I did. He crawled under the slightly large space. The light is blinding. There's an ambulance. There are paramedics everywhere. Lucifer is nowhere to be seen. I make eye contact with another. Their expression is warm. Jaime was told to carry me to the car. I'm on a bed. I don't feel anything below my knees.

"Is everyone ok?" I asked. The woman smiled. Her eyes give it away.

"You just focus on breathing and staying awake," she said. A poke in my arm.

"Please take care of them. Especially Wilbur and Wolfe. They looked tired. Wolfe and Michael are good guys. Do you think you can find Lucifer?" I rambled on. The lady has blond hair, it's so short. Her eyes were so tired and blue filled with tears. The bags underneath them show how much she has seen.

"I will let them know," her voice cracked. She called an older man. She told them about the others inside still. His face goes blank. He instructed the firefighters to the warehouse. Before they close the door I see them carrying Sam, Tony, and Wilbur. They dragged out Wolfe. Orders as each one was sleeping now.

"Wake them up," I said.

"Honey I can't," she admits.

"Please! Please wake them up! " I yelled. I heard Bel- mom. Mommy! "Mommy!" I screamed crying. Bella sees me. She watched in Jaime's direction. She runs over to me. She kissed my head.

"Mommy is here Gregory," she whispered.

"Mommy," I whimpered as she cradled me. I closed my eyes when I felt the mask being placed on me and the bandana removed.

"Yes, baby?"

"I'm sorry," I said.

"You're human dear. We make mistakes and we have influences. I just hope the others are okay. May I check on Jay?" She asked. I shook my head.

Selfish.

"Greg!" Jaime is awake and ignoring the medic. I heard the door of the ambulance. I open. My eyes. Jaime laid down next to me and tackled me. We don't bring up how affectionate we're being.

"JD" I smiled. The lady tells us we are going to the hospital. I see Tony was talking to Mikasa. They shared a shock blanket and were talking, laughing someone near them talking to the medic. A hand on Tony's shoulder. He's not related, not even close but once finished he kissed Tony's head. Mikasa's mothers came running to her. She goes and hugs them. Michael is there. He's on a bed, next to him was Wolfe. Half conscious Wolfe gave a fistbump to Michael. Since his seat was propped up he looked over at me. Through his oxygen mask, I see his smile. He waved. I laughed and waved back. The doors close and as we made our way to the hospital Jaime joked we had never read one before and mom just smiled. She kissed our heads and continued to run her fingers through my hair in silence.