Chapter 18

Will
I pulled up to another red light. I tapped my fingers against the steering wheel, another damn stop. I looked out the window, how do the birds feel? Is it freeing to fly? I play the radio, another song, another one hit one wonder.

Green.

Red.

Green.

Tap. Tap, boredom. The sound of the engine, soft clicks of the lock.

I go, to the bank, I parked far away enough to escape if there was trouble yet close enough I won't have to walk a ton. I grabbed the forged checks. Easy enough to mimic thanks to Rogers leaving notes to his 'beloved'. To think I was sick was an understatement. I get out of the car, the checks were in an envelope, with enough sweet talking I could snag an appointment and quickly get the checks into Lucifer's account. I insist to deposit in his account, my account was fine, but I had enough. Stealing was easy, forging, grabbing a few offers and it's easy money.

"Morning," I heard. I looked up, at the security guard.

"Good morning," I said. The guard was young, tired, with blond hair and green eyes. Tired smile. I smiled back, we talk. I end up with an appointment, met with priority. I deposit the checks easily. My phone rang. How nice. I answered as I sat in the car. I start the car and decided to text Mikasa, I'd pick her up and drop her off at school, per Lucifer's request. She agreed and ask if I would take her girlfriend. I agree.

"Wilbur."

"Mother, what is it?" I asked. There wasn't anything to talk about, nothing left. I start the way east, her house not too far away from the bank. She does live more toward the fields of strawberries and golden raspberries.

Green.

"Wilbur, have I taught you nothing? How to greet a woman? How to be kind?" My mother scoffed, her tone was so dull. Cold as the black ice on the road.

Red.

"You did not teach me anything. If I recall, Michael... what do you want? I said I would be over for the holidays. Did I not? I gave you my word, as for your request, it can be talked over dinner," I said, I pulled into the street of ranches and fields of crops. I enjoyed this area, I'm sure Lucifer would love to move here. He'd take the opportunity to plant so many flowers, and berries, he'd run through the overgrown grass and swing in the trees like the child he was meant to be.

Yellow.

"I do not understand your tone Wilbur, I recall you were the one who decided to leave home. No matter, I was just wondering if you would bring the boy you left me for. Perhaps some friends, if you have any. Michael is coming over, even Lyola! I just want Birely to be prepare," she sounds innocent, lovely even.

"I'll let you know. I have to discuss it with him first, I don't make decisions for us on my own. Plus something came up and I need to be in France for a while. If you're calling about your supposed love, I have to get back to you. Goodbye mother, have a nice day. Happy Holidays," I said. I hung up, I don't bother with her tracks and games. I pulled into the driveway of a ranch home. The roses were quite gorgeous this time of year, they poke their red petals through the snow.

Mikasa is sitting on the swing, hanging above their porch. Her mothers were either tending to the crops or working. I knew one was always at the hospital, while the other was more of a housewife. I see her yellow pastel dress, she had on a large blue sweatshirt and her thigh-high socks keeping her warm. I unlock the car, her girlfriend was much taller, with red hair, sharp brown eyes. Her clothes weren't bright colors, but dark and ripped. Her jeans faded with patches at the knees. Her black jacket was large, sleeves rolled up at her elbows, her boots laced tight and her hard look didn't go unnoticed. Mikasa sat in the front and her girlfriend in the back seat. Mikasa rests her bag at her feet and her small basket on her lap. All doors closed, seatbelts on.