Chapter 28

"Michael" Apollo Afton
I watched through the scope of a sniper as the children questioned who was Ares. He wouldn't know, none of them would. They would go to me eventually. If not they would meet Luisa. That's something I couldn't let happen. She'll turn him against me, against everyone he knows. I don't want harm to come to him. Not to my little detective. It makes me wonder if Lyli was gonna be okay. Knowing the Castrels was the corruption in the system, they wouldn't release Lyola anytime soon.

They're frustrated, begging for answers. But Ares can't answer, Ares doesn't know who that really is. I smiled seeing how gentle he was towards the little girl. They would change her identity and offer her something better than what the feds would offer. The system spat out kids regardless of where they would end up. My phone rang. I tapped the earpiece. The government wouldn't show advanced technology to the public unless they had something newer or one of the public created a piece similar.

"What is it?" I said. The cool wind didn't help my situation in the bitter cold. I watched Ares, the waves reeling in as the freezing water made him freeze in place. The little one curled into his chest. The three were talking with the others. It was the most normal thing I've seen them do in a long time. I've spoken with Michaels about the internship and Grant about graduation for Ares and Lucifer. I made sure the girls were safe as they walked to and from school, I paid for countless treatments and ensured the best for the two mischief-makers. I owed Kris favours and watched Greg and Jaime grow into the people they were. I just preferred not to watch my little brother fuck people into oblivion. I have a system alerting me of trouble. But there was no need to watch private matters. Father taught me better.

"Where are you? We got news Rodriguez is on the move to Paris. He's on a plane now with Finn. Afton cut the silent treatment," Wolfe didn't give me a second to even answer. I heard a click behind me. Pressure to the back of my head.

"Who are you?" Richard Collins. He was a kind man, kinder than most. I would've shot and killed many but he lets them escape with a fine or warning.

"To whom does it concern?" I asked.

"Excuse me?"

"Who are you?" He growled, unnecessary force in the wrong situation. I sighed and put my sniper rifle down gently. She was a gift from Harry. In seconds I was able to unarm the officer and had him beneath me. Since the first time we met, he aged five years in one and a half.

"I didn't take you as submissive," I said, proper technique and he's writhing below me. Struggle. I watch as he did so. He stopped. Ares was always such a predator. I'd like to believe I'm relatively normal but he had a point. This could really do it for someone.

"Fuck you," Richard growled.

"You might get somewhere with Will or Lyola using that but not me. Sorry love," I smiled.

"At least fucking hang up asshole," Wolfe hissed at me. Wolfe is constantly nagging, never patient and hardly deserved a response right away. He made my head hurt with the way he acts. His behaviour has me in turmoil.

"Who the fuck are you?" He repeated. I rolled my eyes. Police have only gotten less intelligent with each batch. A shame really, now all the rest of us have to pull weight.

"Michael, Michael whatever Wilbur is going by these days," I said. I get off him and pack my things. I tapped the earpiece realizing I never responded. I haven't seen our records in some time. It piques my curiosity now, I wonder if we've gotten on any list again from any military, or government agencies. 

"I'm busy, what? I can't check on the family?"

"He'll get his turn of a contract, I need you to follow orders as you agreed to dipshit," Wolfe sneered. I smiled. I couldn't answer, I knew they would use him as an asset as well. He's a perfectly created sleeper agent. Only three people know the term. The other two are dead now. I stared at the house, Will got the better end of things. It was far from normal, it was close to love as he could get. I let my shoulders drop. I saw the corner of his lips lift. A small smile. It makes the snow bearable. The snow swarms me but lays in his yard so delicately. I'm almost jealous. 

"Why are you watching them?"

"I owe a favour to a mother. I don't go back on my word," I said. I grabbed my things and cane and made the slow trek back to base.

"Wait! Who did you owe?!" He called out. I was on the ground now. I looked once more toward the home. I glanced at the officer.

"Mother Death... I owed Mother Death," I said. I best meet up for lunch with Armani Ramirez. Can't have him waiting.

.

.

.

I picked up a few things as I passed the stands, I lose the scarf, and fedora before running my fingers through my hair. I grabbed a new hat, a cowboy one this time. A new jacket, it's black leather, glasses and a cigarette. I prefer a different poison to Ares's but to each their own. I reached the airport and greet the man. Fairly tanned skin, skittish, sunken in brown eyes, chapped pale lips, and clothes too loose on a chubby frame.

"Ah, Mr. AR! How are you, sir? Courtesy of the Warden himself," I smiled. The man shushed me before following.

"They're everywhere. Always listening. Always watching me," he whimpered. How can such a powerful woman be taken down by this nutcase?

"Of course, it's why the warden loves his secrecy. Please right this way," I said. The rat nods and follows me. His baggage was held close to his chest. We reached the car I stole. We get in and I began driving away. To the Warden as promised.

"The Warden never mentioned a ride or guards," he mumbled. I glance in the rearview mirror as I fixed it.

"I'm glad he changed his mind in his call," I said. I look back at the road.

"Yes. So many are after me," Armani said with wandering eyes. So skittish. 

"Yes, so many," I whispered.