Prologue

I snapped awake, hearing someone yell from down the hall. 

"Wendy for the love of god, please tell me you are in bed and doing something stupid!" I nearly fell out of my chair. I grabbed my chest and looked up at the doorway. I must've gotten too into the story. I put the papers down and saw Jace in the doorway, his hair in a messy bun and his prosthetic hand on his hip. I dare say he looked attractive upset. I really should tell him. But maybe, well I knew nothing would change. Not in this lifetime.

"What if I am ?" I challenged. He raised an eyebrow and walked over. He stood behind me, leaning over my shoulder with his arms around my neck.

"Try me." He gave me that smile I would die for.

"What are you doing anyway?" He questions. I smirked. He yawned and complained about how it sucked being a teacher.

"Remember that lesson I prepared for the older children?" He nodded and leaned his head on mine.

"I was reading one of the stories. It's by one of your favourite students. Guess who." I said. He gave me a deadpan look, he had no favourite student.

"I don't know." I smiled, I showed him the papers as I rubbed his left arm gently. The metal was cold, it always reminded me of some steampunk advancement.

"Lucifer Laurens," I said. He looked surprised.

"He always had a gift for creativity whether he is behaving or not" Jace mumbles. I yawned. I didn't want to make this awkward but I'm dying just to get him to see me the way I saw him.

"Let's go to sleep," Jace whined. I smiled and agreed.

That kid had a weird taste for books... 

"By the way, I got a call. We have to bail out 'our favourite' student again." I groaned as Jace laughed and buried his face once again in my hair. I'd have to go get him tonight.

"I'll go get him. Go to sleep instead of doing that weird shit you do in the kitchen." I said with a smirk. His ears burned bright red as he swatted the back of my head. He was always much more open and affectionate when it was just the two of us.

"Or what" he challenged. I leaned close to his ear.

"You will bail out Lucifer for the next week," I purred in his ear. He flushed a dark red and flipped me off. I laughed as he left for our bedroom. I grabbed a  jacket from the floor and put it on. I went to check on my blue jay and kissed his head. He always had terrible nightmares and preferred not to sleep unless I was around to wake him. But for now, I'm sure the guest bedroom was ready as Lucifer stayed there last weekend. I heard him mumble that shouldn't be attractive.

I sighed. This was not how I planned to spend my night. I was walking to the police station. Jace was home trying to sleep. His prosthetics were not removable and connected with his nerves often caused him discomfort. I thought it was cool since he looked like a robot superhero. The plan was for Jace and I to catch a movie and look at the rest of the students' assignments, I haven't even bothered to start grading. We would try to make it enjoyable as I graded work. While he slept, I would grade then we'd switch. Apparently, life had other plans for us all. I ended up bumping into one of my students. Jaime Dean. I helped him up since he stumbled and fell back. Why would any student be out so late at night?

"What are you doing out so late Jaime?" I asked him concerned. All he did was shrug. I shook my head. I didn't exactly look presentable. My hair was a mess, my glasses were resting on my head instead of actually helping me see. My tie was loosely around my neck and my shirt was wrinkled and untucked. It showed a bit of my collarbone that may or may not have a hickey from that one drunken night before.

Delinquents Can't Changeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें