Chapter 9

Lucifer Laurens
We were finally on the road after two hours of getting everyone in and calm. I whistled to the tune of the radio. Mikasa and McLennan were talking about some book series. I glance to see Greg looking anxious. I turned down the music and remain looking at the highway. The never-ending road, I smiled listening. My mom loved to sing. I hardly talk about my mom, but I guess to stop making Greg always glaring or snapping at me I could try to be friendly.

"I lost my mom when I was eight-"I said and glance at him-" I remember her smile. She use to sing to me to sleep every night. We use to go to the drive-in-theatre when I was younger and we would make snacks and eat there. Just my mom and I," I said. The talking turned to whispers. I saw Greg crossing his arms.

"What was she like?" He asked avoiding eye contact. Greg wouldn't even glance in my direction.

"Oh, she was great. She use to make the whole room feel like home. She was like the first snow and Christmas cookies. She always had a smile and never failed to let me know it was okay to be different," I said. I smiled and chuckled.

"Really?" I can hear Greg's laugh.

"Always. She loved berry pie too. I don't know why but she loved the idea of berries in pies. Like mix berry, know," I said. In the corner of my eye, I see his soft smile. He rubbed his eyes.

"My mom hated the smell of eggs but she use to love eating custard and over-easy eggs," Greg said.

"Wow," I said with a smile. We passed thirty minutes and Mikasa asked for a bathroom break. I pulled over to a gas station. Turns out the stupid house was farther than I thought. Three hours. I put in some gas. Greg was leaning on the boot of the car.

"How did you lose her?" Greg whispered. I put the nozzle in and put in the driver's ID. I planned on filling her halfway.

"I lost her during a court case. I had to live with Frank. I lost her permanently a few years later when she got into a car wreck," I sighed. I wore her locket and an earring they salvaged from the wreckage. I turned to him and start the gas pump.

"I'm sorry," Greg asked. I see the two younger ones in the snack aisles laughing. I got out my wallet again and hand Greg a picture. Greg tilts his head confused.

"I'm adopted," I said. He looked awkward. "But she was my mom and I wouldn't change a thing," I tell him. Greg nods and wiped his stray tears.

"Can I ask you something? How do you act okay with it? I feel like I'll forget her. It's hard every passing day, I can barely remember her smile," he said shivering. I looked at the number, stopped it and places it back in the holder.

"Come here," I smiled. He narrowed his eyes at me.

"Why?" He asked hesitantly coming closer. Once he's standing in front of me, there's a mirror above the gas pumps I point to.

"You have every little bit of your mom in you. Look. In there you have her with you," I said tapping his chest. He rubbed his eyes. "You have her, it could be as much as you want," I smiled. He nods.

"Can I go get something?" He mumbled. I nodded.

"Go buy me smokes too then yes," I said. He took the money I offered and goes. I filled her up and see a familiar group. The Hell Storms, those bitches wore black leather. I whistled to get their attention. Some have short bobs and the others had on cute dresses and their long hair down. Leather, gel, and motorcycles. Badass group if you asked me. The one and only Marceline smirk.

"I see you came back for more?" She said. Her red lipstick was bold. I smirk back.

"No, but I need a favour, you owe me," I stood straight, arms folded. The other girls in leather whispered among themselves, one who was smoking stands up and gets close.

"O'l devil got 'imself in trouble 'gain?" She was short, blond, and had brown eyes. She had on a leather jacket, a red ribbon tied around her neck, and had on a black skirt that ended at her knees. A tattoo on her neck was partially covered. They truly were rebels.

"I need research and you know the best people," I clicked my tongue.

"That's a lot of trouble for one devil-" the leader, black hair cut into a bob, red ribbon around her throat and she wore a leather jacket, black and white striped shirt and black jeans, she comes up to me and glares. She blew smoke in my face, "-my hounds will find what ya need. When ya need it?" She smiled extending her hand to me. I grabbed a piece of folded paper and grabbed her hand.

"In a month," I let go of her hand and look while the girls were getting on their motorcycles. She took the paper and slid it into her jacket pocket.

"I'll have it soon as I can. I'll come over and we can talk about what you need. Your other package is at the spot up further Northeast" she said. I nodded and gave her my number. We made small talk and parted ways for now. I used my crutch to go to the car and limp back to the driver's seat. It's like I'm travelling with kids, I looked to see the three looking mostly at sweets and pop.

They came back with food and as it got late the younger ones napped in the back. The smell of sandwiches filled the car. I lowered the windows to have cool air. I'm not spending gas on A.C. if it feels nice out. Greg was eating next to me. We listen to the radio, enjoying the fields as I look at the same damn road.

"How did you meet Will?" Greg asked with a mouth full of a turkey sandwich. I see the building on the Hell Storms marked and pull over since there wasn't anyone else on the road. I get down quietly and turn to him.

"Uh we met at an abandoned building, he was tracking a serial killer and I was supposed to deal with someone. I ended up helping him and we got the killer stuck in a cell for a week," I told him. He nods and eats a cookie. I grabbed the black spray can and go to the sign. There was a tag showing their territory. I spray my sign on there on the left letting the ladies know I'm here. I found the hidden envelope regarding something I asked for a few years back. My mother's old photos. I put the packages in the compartment in front of Greg. I put the spray can away in the same spot and began the rest of the hour-and-a-half trip. An hour in and we're in the city. Greg fell asleep but looked in pain. I stopped at another gas station to look at the road map.

"Forty fucking minutes," I mumbled. I looked at the two in the back cuddling. I smiled at the picture hanging from the rear-view mirror.

"He's gone, mom. Uncle Jace took care of it as he promised you. It just took a while," I whispered. I leaned back in my seat and lock the car. Driving made me tired.