9. DATE NIGHT

Wednesday came quickly. Following an early afternoon rehearsal, Ms. Peterson asked, "So Cheri, what are you going to wear tonight?"

I really had thought a lot about this, oddly. And what was odder, is that I wasn't thinking about it in terms of subduing their interest, but more so in terms of wanting to look cute. What the heck is going on with me!

"Well, Ms. Peterson," I said, with some genuine excitement. "I was thinking about the new pink sequin skirt, the white one shoulder lycra top with the bow on the shoulder, nude pantyhose, and the new pink pumps."

"Very nice dear. I think that will do just fine. And now what about your hair?" She said, picking at my hair with her long nails.

"Um, I guess I hadn't thought about that too much. I'm not sure." Until now, I had really pretty much left my hair alone, with the exception of a little spritz of holding spray to help frame my face and then occasionally pulling it back into a ponytail with one of the scrunchies.

"Well, it's time you start to focus more on styling it Cheri. It's really starting to grow out, and even looks a bit thicker."

It was true. My hair seemed to be growing faster and had gotten thicker than it had been.

"I tell you what." She continued, "run on home now and get all ready for tonight. Remember, on date night you go a little heavier on the makeup and perfume. Then come back here around 6:30 and I will help you get your hair styled. I think we're just about ready to get you to the salon to blonde it up proper." she said, still fussing with my hair.

My hair was already blonde, but more of a dirty blonde. The summer sun and hanging out in the community pool always bleached it out. But so far this summer, most of my time was spent either in the dance studio or in my room. I had spent very little time outdoors.

By 6:30, I was ready and headed over to Ms. Peterson's house. I was wearing what I had described to her, and with that put on a look called midnight eyes, which involved black to grey to pale pink eye shadow, with a light brushing of glitter. I did as instructed and used a little more blush and a lip plumping pink lipstick, to match my skirt and heels. I put an extra pair of nude pantyhose into my purse, along with the eyeshadow, blush, lipstick, and my cell phone. My hair was still damp and simply brushed back.

Ms. Peterson sat me in her salon chair, and spritzed some water, blow dried, curled, sprayed, teased, sprayed some more.

"Wow!" I said in disbelief. "I didn't know my hair could be all that!"

"Well dear, like I said, it has grown out nicely, so I had something to work with. You need to start practicing styling it on your own, so you can get a look like this all the time. You're going to have to anticipate another 45 minutes to an hour longer to get ready though, until you're proficient."

At 7:05, Scott's car pulled into the driveway. "Go freshen up and do one last check of yourself Cheri, while I go greet the boys and tell them you're on your way out."

I didn't really feel I needed to freshen up, as I had just gotten ready, but I did as Ms. Peterson said, mostly just admiring how pretty I looked. When I got outside, I saw Ms. Peterson had been talking to them in a hushed tone about something, probably something about being gentlemen, take good care of me, and such. When they saw me, their jaws dropped. Scott was wearing a surf shop t-shirt and shorts with skater shoes, and Ricardo had on a short sleeved collared shirt, with khaki shorts and flip flops. And here I was all dolled up for them. Ugh.

"Hi boys." I said with a shy smile. Ms. Peterson had instructed me this week that I should always refer to males my age as boys. Never guys or men, and always refer to older adults as men, and to address both men and boys individually as sir until they told me otherwise.