10. UNDER THE SEA

Sunday came quickly, and I felt well prepared. I had all my lines down, knew my character well, and everything fit well, including the mermaid tail. I was a little nervous about how that part would go, and about sitting for a long time with the tail. The party started at 5 PM, and Mr. Ryan was scheduled to pick me at 4:30. At 9 AM I got a text from Ms. Peterson that read, I'll be there in 15 minutes to pick you up.

Pick me up? I didn't know why, and she didn't say. Ever since Thursday morning she hadn't been her typical sweet self.

I had been up since 6 AM, as with every morning. Hair and makeup done, even though it would need to be redone for tonight. When she texted, I had on powder blue panties, nude pantyhose, and a pink satin camisole. So when she texted, I just needed to slip on a white lycra skirt, and a pair of pink pumps, recheck my face and hair, and go. Fifteen minutes was plenty of time.

"Were you all ready to go like that when I texted Cheri?" She asked looking me up and down approvingly as I got into the car.

"Yes, Ma'am. Just needed to slip on some heels and a skirt, but I was otherwise ready."

"You should always have heels on Cheri. I thought we talked about that. From the moment you wake up, to the moment you go to bed. Only exception should be while you're in the shower. Which we should resolve by getting you a pair of shower heels."

"Yes Ma'am. I will from now on." Then in an effort to show Ms. Peterson I was taking initiative, I suggested. "What if I used the pair of clear mules we bought as shower heels? They're all lucite and should be fine. Especially if I dry them off after every time?"

"That will be fine." She said, curtly.

"So, Mr. Ryan sent me a text this morning." She said, as she backed out of my driveway. "He said he has a gift for you for tonight, and it occurred to me then that you never got your ears pierced."

It had occurred to me at some point too. I wasn't about to mention it voluntarily though. But almost as if she was reading my mind, Ms. Peterson added, "I really wish you would have spoken up about earrings Cheri. I can't babysit you every step of the way."

"Yes Ms. Peterson. I'm sorry Ma'am." Then to try and save a little face, I added, "Maybe I should get my bellybutton pierced today too?" What?! What was I thinking! I always thought belly piercings were cute on girls, but I'M NOT A GIRL!!!

"That's a good idea! And perfect, since your tummy will be showing tonight at the pool! We'll find a charm that is befitting! Oh," She added. "it also occurred to me that pink isn't the right nail polish color for Ariel. We'll stop at the nail salon afterward and have that changed to a powder blue."

"Really?" I replied, admiring my pink nails. "I just got these done last week. That's a shame."

"It's part of the cost of this industry dear. You'll be getting them painted again after tonight for your date on Wednesday. Then maybe again for your next party. Get used to it."

After a few moments, Ms. Peterson asked, "Speaking of your date. How are you doing with that? Are you excited?"

"I am!" I replied mustering the enthusiasm she was seeking. "I'm also a little nervous that they won't be pleased with me, but I have a pretty good feeling this time. Oh, and I have a couple of outfit options picked out that I will go over with you beforehand."

"Yes, you will. And you should be a lot nervous based on the catastrophe you caused  last week, but as long as you do as I have taught you, and you make their interests your only purpose, you should be fine, Cheri."

We stopped in at the Piercing Palace in the same strip mall as the nail salon, and got my ears pierced, then my bellybutton. As standard, they just gave me regular studs for the ears. Ms. Peterson didn't seem to be in the mood to shop for other earrings for me; however, for the bellybutton, she picked out a cute sea-blue stone heart charm on silver, which the technician put into my bellybutton, and then a pink heart stone charm on gold into a bag. Then onto the nail salon for powder blue nails.