22: Beef between men

THIS BOOK WAS ORIGINALLY ON ANOTHER WEBSITE UP UNTIL THE ENGLISH VERSION OF THE WEBSITE WAS DISCONTINUED. IF ISSUES MAY ARISE WITH IT, IT MAY BE REMOVED FROM WATTPAD. SO DO NOT PANIC WHEN IT DOES.

Hailee simply glances away as Aaron chuckles and bites onto his lower lip before turning away from her and sighing out.

"Anyway, I'll get going." He waves his hand slightly and turns, only to nearly hit into Owen who seems to have just walked in.

They both stare at each other for a moment, taking in each other's profile and assessing their body builds without necessarily saying anything.

Aaron slowly pulls on a mocking smirk as he is already declaring himself more attractive than Owen is.

Owen can tell as well without needing to look at himself in the mirror.

From the moment he got the notification from the board of directors about the CEO of Red, he knew what he is getting himself into when he has to send Aaron Black to his boss, Hailee.

He very well knows Hailee might fall for the fake predatory eyes of the man who is so full of himself.

"Oh, you're the secretary, I don't think we have officially met. Except through the phone calls." Aaron smiles at Owen who raises a brow at him, knowing too well that the man standing in front of him is belittling him through his gaze alone.

"No." Owen shrugs his shoulders as he holds the file in his hand before turning his gaze to Hailee who isn't looking up at them, instead, her gaze is faced down to the desk instead as she thinks to herself. "I believe you were leaving?"

"Hm." Aaron frowns deeply and sighs out as he turns to Hailee. "Anyway. I'll be off. if there's anything you need to ask, just call me."

"I'll do the calling. She doesn't handle phone calls." Owen points out as he walks over to Hailee's desk while Aaron heads to the door.

Without telling each other personally, they both know they aren't going to be friends or anything close to it.

Owen glances through the corner of his eye and at the door as Aaron finally steps out and closes the door behind him.

He sighs out and turns his head to Hailee who still seems emersed in her own thoughts, hardly noticing Owen is even in the room.

He clears his throat, getting her to lazily glance up from the desk and up at him.

"The CFO thought you could see a few things he's come up with about the investment you will be making if the board of directors agree to it and the upcoming event of the publicity of our cooperation with Red that is, if you signed the agreement as instructed." Owen starts but notices Hailee's vacant stare on him. "Also, you've got a small list of issues in the departments that you have to look into before the week ends."

"Alright." She nods her head only to glance down at her phone when it chimes with a pop-up covering the screen.

Unknown number:

Msg: SunFlower Kindergarten. She knocks off at two today.

She sighs out as she runs her fingers through her hair and grit her teeth as she snatches the phone from where it lies, getting Owen to raise his brows in surprise.

Get her yourself. Send her mother. I'm not going to be a part of it so don't expect me to get her.

She harshly taps the send button and taps her screen off before leaning back into the seat and groaning out.

Her eyes drop on the monitor on her desk, only to notice there are mere minutes before 2:00pm.

"Anything wrong?" Owen asks as he glances down at the monitor as well, unsure of what he should even be looking at.

"Nothing wrong." She frowns and pulls her seat closer to the desk. "Anyway, I should start working. Leave the files on the desk. I'll get back to them after I get some notes done."

"Sure." He nods and places the folders down to the desk before turning, only to stop. "Um, since we'll be done a little early today, since there isn't much to do. Would you like to have dinner with me?"

"I'll think about it." She shrugs her shoulders as her eyes barely leave the monitor.

A small frown makes its way to his lips as he nods slightly and turns for the door.

Even though he already knew she would deny his offer with how stressed she looks at the moment, he just doesn't understand how she could change within a week.

The previous week had a Hailee that loved the attention Owen gave her.

His compliments, his smile, his eyes was everything to her and she spent an entire week getting to know him more than just her secretary. They spent an entire week having dinner together and laughing at the bad jokes he'd crack.

Then that Friday happened and Hailee changed entirely.

She no longer sees him the way she did a few days ago. Which surprises him a lot since she barely knows the man she's been with.

He most definitely would love to see who this man is that got Hailee's mind completely clogged.

Owen groans out as he steps out of Hailee's office and steps into his just next door.

He drags his feet across the ground, getting a few of the other's attention as they glance at him in confusion.

He throws himself back to his chair and sighs out shakily as he glances down at his desk where his monitor displays last week's photo of him and Hailee just having dinner at a fancy restaurant.

They hadn't really gone out much to say it was going anywhere.

They only just started to hang out more.

So he wouldn't blame her that much if she found someone else interesting.

The door to Hailee's office swings open, startling Owen who shoots his gaze through his glass windows and at Hailee who is hurriedly walking past his office.

Owen instantly gets up and rushes over to her, only to notice she is carrying her bag.

"Off to somewhere?" He asks with raising brows as he follows her to the elevator.

"Just to check on my sister, she's sick." Hailee sighs out and steps into the elevator. "No need to come. Just fill in for me until I get back." She waves before the doors close, getting Owen to nod at himself before turning back to his office.