26: inlove with the devil

Hailee soon finds herself so immersed in her work that she kind of lost track of time. And since Bella had fallen asleep not long later, it couldn't have been any more of help to her.

Though she had forgotten to drop her off before four and the time is well beyond seven.

The front door of the office creaks open and Owen walks in with a small folder of freshly printed paperwork.

The baggy dark eyes visible and clear enough to tell how his day has gone.

Since Hailee came back from picking Bella from her school, she didn't really find Owen on his desk. And since he is her Assistant, she knew too well where he possibly was.

Running minor errands she was probably supposed to do.

"You will not believe what I had to go through today, Hailee." Owen groans out as he leans onto the desk, unaware of the little girl dead in sleep on the small sofa at the corner of the room. "When you left, they had me attend department meetings and listen to everyone complain for nearly five hours. I attended four of those meetings."

"You're welcome?" Hailee smiles slightly, getting Owen to roll his eyes before sighing out as he places the folder down for he desk. "Those are the meeting's minutes. After all I did for you today, it's only fair you make it up to me."

"You're my assistant, but sure. What do you want?" She shrugs her shoulders with a small chuckle as she drops her eyes down to the monitor.

"A kiss would be nice." He says in a mummer as his eyes drop down to her plumpy lips, feeling his own heart thud agaisnt his chest at the thought of kissing them.

"That's funny." Hailee chuckles out but doesn't tear her gaze from the monitor, knowing she is just about done.

"It wasn't supposed to be at least." He furrows his brows and clenches the edges of the desk. "I really like you, Hailee."

Hailee clicks the period button just as he says it. Luckily, she finishes in time before his confusing statement.

She glances up at him from the monitor as she exits from her work page and flicks it off.

"It's been a whole day of stressful work. The least you could think about is me." Hailee simply points out as she pushes her seat back and tucks her hair behind her ear. "It's been a rough day for both of us. You should go home and rest."

"Since Friday." Owen clenches his jaw as he watches her pack her stuff into her handbag. "Since that man showed up, you won't even look at me."

"Don't make it sound like we were anything special, Owen." Hailee sighs out and reaches her hand up to her temple.

Not this again.

"We could have been. We can." He points out and she smiles slightly at him before placing the bag strap on her shoulders.

"I'll think about it." She nods her head and clears her throat before walking towards the couch, and that's when his gaze drops down to the little golden haired girl.

"Who is that?" Owen asks in confusion as he walks over to her, watching as Hailee carefully lifts Bella from the couch, trying not to wake her up. "You have another sister?"

"No." She shakes her head in denial. "She's a friend's child. I picked her up from school today."

"In other words you lied to me about your sister being sick." He sighs out and crosses his arms to his chest as he glances at the little girl. "Is she your child? In case you're lying to me now?"

"No she's not." Hailee hisses at him and Bella groans in her sleep at the loud hiss she made. "Look, she's a friend's child and I'm not lying. Anyway. I should go drop her off."

"Why didn't you drop her off sooner?" Owen stubbornly asks as he follows behind her while she makes her way out of the office.

"She didn't want to go home and I forgot." She hisses more quietly as they walk to the elevator. "Anyway. Goodnight, Owen."

"Hm." Owen simply grunts and glances down at the girl. "She sort of looks familiar."

"Why? Does she look like you?" Hailee rolls her eyes and Owen chuckles lightly.

"No. But like someone I know. Anyway. Goodnight, Hailee." He says before the elevator doors close in front of him since he needs to stay behind and lock her office as it is his job.

Hailee frowns slightly and glances down at the floor as the elevator descends.

Knowing too well she got Owen interested in her on purpose before she met Aaron.

Owen was the man she aimed at getting to know the past week, wanting him to find her as the only woman his eyes can see.

She wanted his attention.

But now she doesn't.

Aaron is the only man she wants the attention from....

Shut up. He's married you idiot! You're even going to give him back his daughter!

She groans out in her mind and shakes her head in denial as the elevator doors open entirely. She steps out and walks towards the exit as her cheeks flare up from the thought of his face.

Darn it the devil won't leave me today. She sighs out as she walks to her car. She heads over to the passenger seat and snaps the chair back before placing Bella as carefully as she can.

She then pulls her jacket off and drapes it over Bella's small body before closing the door and heading over to the driver's seat.

This was a mistake, I shouldn't have picked Bella up. She grits her teeth and starts the car. Why hasn't he called about her? Does he already know? Did he know I would do it?

She pulls from the parking spot and heads towards the gate with a tight grip on her stirringwheel. 

He obviously knew... He didn't call all damn day!