Simula

Simula

One thing that I frequently find it hard to guess is the right timing of everything.

A right time for decisions. A time to act harsh. A time to be angry. A time to stop. Is there even a right time to be happy? Or a right time to be sad? A right time to hate? A right time to love?

Paano masasabi iyon ang tamang oras kung lahat ng bagay rito sa mundo ay hindi mo malalaman ang kasunod? It is always...unpredictable. One time you are beyond the clouds then after that, you'll swim in the depths of sadness.

It's fascinating how words that was simply constructed can move and touch the mind. It was fascinating to read a timeless literature made by Him, written by His messengers. I can't help but to smile subtly as I followed the lines of words in the book. Third chapter, Ecclesiastes of the Bible. It speaks wisdom that every people on their youth should know.

I laid back on the monobloc chair comfortably, listening intently to the preacher of His Word. This is what our family usually do. We walk together as one, sometimes we even wear the matching colors of clothes. And of course, we go to church as one. Like a picture-perfect family. But we are far from being perfect.

"Noella Noella," my grandmother strictly whispered behind her fan. "Sit properly and clutch unto your skirt. Ingatan mo."

I sighed and did what she said without complain. Sanay ako sa pamamalakad ni Abuela. Conservative and strict. But, abide by the rules and you'll be fine. Nagiging habit ko pa nga kadalasan.

Ending, I ended on the monobloc like mannequin. Proper and of course, with elegance as it should be. And that position remained until the end of the service.

I was helping the youth to stack the chairs we used before going out. At habang ginagawa ko iyon ay nagkaroon ng kaunting kumpulan dahil sa akin.

"Nowie, ako na." my classmate in high school offered.

"Let me carry that," May isa pa. Hindi ako pamilyar sa mukha.

"Mabigat iyan," sabi pa ng isa.

It's light. I can even carry it using one hand. I just smiled at them and shook my head. "Kaya ko na, salamat sa offer."

I extended my hand to them after, offering a handshake. A handshake is a common greeting when you go to the church. They greet you like this with wide smiles and makes you feel welcome. Ganoon ang nangyayari kapag maaga kang dumating o di kaya naman ay papauwi na ang pamilya. Sometimes, one of the Levites would walk you to the gates.

My mother was glaring at me at the sight of that. Hindi ko napigilan ang buntong hininga. I was just being polite and I guess the strictness runs in the family. Ang kasungitan ni Abuela ay namana ata ni Mama imbes na ni Papa. Kahit si Papa ang anak.

My mother was stomping her feet as we went out of the church. Kakalabas pa lang namin sa simbahan sobrang iritable na agad si Mama. Parang hindi nakarinig ng mensahe galing sa langit.

"Vamonos, Noella! Fetch your siblings at the airport!" utos nito habang nagmamadali at dahilan na rin nang mabilis na tunog ng sapatos niya sa pathway ng simbahan.

Napabuntong hininga na lang ako. Ni hindi pa nga nakakalapag ang eroplano na sinasakyan nila kuya pero nagmamadali na si Mama.

She probably misses them so much. Kahit hindi pa ako nakakapag-tanghalian ay gusto na niyang liparin ko ang Airport ng Laguindingan para masundo ang mga kapatid kong hindi pa nga nagmensahe kung nakalapag na ba ang eroplano nila.

Abuela and Papa are still inside the church. Talking with Don Hiñago. A family friend.

As per what my Mom ordered, dumiretso kami ni Manong Rudy sa Airport. Malayo ang airport ng Laguindingan at kadalasang inaabot iyon ng isang oras o higit pa. Gamit ang shortcut na lulusot palabas ng Aramac patungong Iligan tapos papuntang Cagayan.