Chapter 7

Chapter 7 

Upbringing

I was raised in an environment where the pressure is more than evident. My sister is a street-smart businesswoman. My brother is a genius. My father is a well-known lawyer and haciendero, Mama is a retired neurosurgeon and a socialite. And Abuela... she's a Baronness who prefers to reside here at the Philippines rather than in Spain and she is the current head of the family even though the title of Baron has already been passed to my Dad.

Having family members like that, I have to keep up atleast. Hindi sapat na maganda lang. Dahil kung ganda lang ang pag-uusapan, hindi nahuhuli ang pamilya ko, nauuna pa. I have to excel in other things too, bring pride to the family.

"Hindi sapat na maganda lang, Noella. Dapat may utak at kaibig-ibig na ugali rin."

Nakatatak na ata iyon sa utak ko noon pa man.

"Babae ka at hindi ka ipinanganak para matinag lang. Alamin mo ang halaga mo bilang babae."

It has been my family's norms. Gratia, munditia et potentia. It means grace, finesse, and power. Grace, to execute beauty in whatever you will do. Finesse, to handle every situation with a righteous character. And power to take control, a power not used to overpower and dominate but a power not to get intimidated but to take control.

Kung hindi ako naturuan ng pamilya ko na gamitin ang kapangyarihan sa mahirap na situwasyon ay baka matagal na kaming magkasintahan ni Jiro. Mahirap hindian si Jiro, but I'm not imprisoned in his palms, in his sweet words nor his plastic facade. I'm not naive. Atleast not anymore.

"Beautiful ..." Deo commented admiring the view we both put our eyes on. "So beautiful..." dagdag niya nakita ko sa sulok ng mata ang paglingon niya sa akin at pagtutok ng matagal.

I turned to him with stitched brows and notice that he was just looking at the view in front of us. The way he swiftly laid his eyes on the view, I saw it. I thought he was looking at me because that was what I saw in my peripheral vision. Or maybe I'm just feeling it. What a delusion.

He turned to me swiftly and stood up. "Let's go. Di ba may klase ka sa MedSurg ng 1 pm?"

Yeah right. I almost forgot the time. I stood up and went to the counter para magbayad. But he stopped me by holding both of my shoulders and leading me away from it.

Right then I realized that he was done paying for the whole lunch.

"Magkano binayad mo?"

"Mura lang," he chuckled. "Let's go back to the university."

I kept wondering when did he pay. Is it when he stood up to grab some water? Bakit siya palagi ang nagbabayad? I have money naman!

He opened the car's door for me, I eyed him sharply while hopping in pero nginitian lang ako. He's really something. Ayaw ko pa naman ng nakadepende sa iba.

May ilang minuto pa nang makarating kami sa school. Before we parted ways pinigilan niya akong umalis sa pamamagitan ng paghawak sa pulsuhan ko. Realizing what he had done agad niya akong binitawan.

"You have something to say?"

"Yeah... " he gulped and I saw his Adam's apple move because of it.

"What is it?" I asked while fixing the strap of my tote bag.

He breathe deep at ipinikit ang mga mata at umiling. "Wag na lang muna pala..." ngiti niya.

I have a feeling about what he was going to say but, I choose not to mind it because I'm not sure.