Chapter 20

Chapter 20

I'm nervous, thinking that I will meet Deo's grandfather today. Not as a member of the Mondiego Household but as the girlfriend of his 9th grandson. Hindi pa kami nagkausap kailanman ng Don. Kahit na pumupunta kami sa Parties nila at magkaibigan kami ng pinakapaborito niyang apo ay hindi iyon nangyari. Ito ang unang pagkakataon, kung sakaling matuloy.

I don't know when or what time. But on this day parehas kami ni Deo na may two hours free time on the same timeslots. There's a very high chance na ngayon mangyayari ang pagkikita.

I sighed and wore my usual white nursing uniform and paired it with white slacks.

I heard my phone buzzing at the side table of my bed. Katulad ng inaasahan ay si Deo iyon kaya sinagot ko ang tawag habang nagsusuklay sa harap ng vanity mirror.

"Hey," he greeted. "Good morning."

"Ngayo-Ngayon ko na ba makakausap ang Lolo mo?" I asked.

Hindi na ako nakabati pabalik dahil sa kaba at dahil doon ay natawa siya. He probably noticed my nervousness through my voice. For some reasons, he always feel what I'm feeling. Like we have established a connection. Minsan kahit hindi niya pa ako marinig alam niya na.

"You're so tensed that you forgot to greet me back like usual," he chuckled. "Yeah... today is the day."

"What do you expect me to feel?" I arched my brow and put down the hair brush. "Deo, I'm meeting the grandfather of my boyfriend."

I'm meeting the great Don Aguilar Hiñago. A former general and former senator of the Republic of the Philippines. The one who raised a few notable leaders, his sons, in different industries. The one who disciplines and leads the entire Household of Hiñago.

I sighed at the thought. "What kind of dress do you think I should go for?" I asked.

"Your uniform would be just as fine as any other dress." I can feel him smiling on the other end. "Bagay naman sayo kahit ano."

"You're not helping me pick."

"Dress like how you normally dress yourself. But you look good in white more than in any other color."

I smiled. It's like he was saying that I should dress according to my identity. As a Mondiego. White clothes have always been the signature of the family. Even I myself could testify that my family looked good in white. Lalo na ang mga kapatid ko. Natalia Cecilia and Rahim.

Lunchtime came and I just told my friends a lousy excuse. That I needed to go to the library and skip meal. Alangan namang sabihin ko na kakain ako sa labas. That would literally blow my cover, dahil magtatanong sila kung sino ang kasama ko.

"But Nowie," Satari tried to stop me. "Isn't that unhealthy? Dapat kumakain ka palagi. Being sick is not easy you know."

Umiling ako. "I'll be fine. Naparami kasi ang kain ko ng breakfast kanina."

"You sure?" Si Lau naman ang nagtanong. She is squinting her eyes at me.

"Nowie, yung totoo." Claire smiled intriguingly. "May lakad ka ba?"

"Wala," iling ko. I tried not to overdo my actions or they might think that I'm defensive.

I tried to act natural at all costs. Lau was squinting her eyes at me as if she knows something and nodded. "Go ahead and study well..." sabi niya lang

I smiled and left. Hindi ko na lang pinansin ang reaksiyon niya.

I waited at the gates and surprisingly a new unfamiliar car was the one waiting for me. It's a black pick-up type with a big name of FORD in front. It beeped at me. I was sure of it because Deo texted me that this will be the car we'll use on the way to their Casa. I noticed the car behind it. It was also black and seemed like it was parked intentionally close to the Ford.