Chapter 49

Chapter 49

tears

I rolled my eyes and sat beside my brother here at the gazebo. Kakatapos lang niyang masabon nina Mama, Abuela at Ate and here he is nagmumuni-muni sa gilid. He seems unbothered by what he just did.

They were all inside. Ate is calming our mother down while Abuela is sitting and thinking, still on the couch. I mean, who wouldn't be enraged? The baby boy of the family got wed in secret. Every one of us is delighted to plan his wedding, help with the preparations and such. Spoil my sister-in-law. And now what's this? Tapos na.

"Yung tampo sa akin ni Mama, mukhang nasalo mo yung kalahati," I snorted. "Yan, i-sekreto mo pa yang kasal na yan."

He rolled his eyes and gave me cold sideglance. "Isn't that great? Hati tayo sa tampo niya. Hating-kapatid."

I clicked my tongue and shook my head. "Ano ba kasing pumasok sa isip mo at nagpakasal ka nang hindi man lang namin alam?"

Hindi siya sumagot at iniwas lang ang tingin sa akin.

The worst-case scenario popped into my head like a lightbulb. Nanlaki ang mata ko at yinugyug siya. "You got her pregnant no?"

"What the—No!" he whined. "I would never do that!"

Natahimik kaming dalawa. He won't say it. He will never say a word about it. Mabuti pang manahimik na lang rin ako. At hintayin na lang talaga ang araw na mabubulgar sa liwanag ang lahat.

We saw Ate Bebeng coming. "hija, hijo. Maghahapunan na daw."

Tumango kami pareho ni Kuya at tumayo na para sumunod.

Everyone was at the dining table already, but all of them were silent. Masama pa rin ang tingin ni Mama kay Kuya.

"So when do you plan on introducing the girl to us?" tanong ni Mama.

"Susuyuin pa lang...Ma," Rahim answered with all the patience he had left.

Then she turned to me sharply. Ngayon ay nakikihati na rin talaga ako sa galit niya katulad ng sinabi ni Kuya. Mabuti na lang rin siguro yung hati kesa naman sa buo. "I need to talk to you after this dinner, Graciella. I have something to tell you."

Tumango ako. I silently prayed that whatever Mom was going to say, sana lang ay hindi negatibo. I hope it's what I'm expecting. Hindi ko man alam ang sasabihin niya ay hindi na ako mapirmi sa inuupuan ko. I badly want to know what she was going to say.

I entered my father's study and saw her there. Sitting on his chair, arms crossed and... unlike the expression she showed during dinner, her eyes right now are gentle and lonely. The lioness was gone. I hope she's not going to ask me about my brother's marriage dahil kahit ako ay hindi ko rin alam.

I sat on one of the sofa set in front of my father's table. I clasped my hands and knees together and waited for my doom to come.

"I was t-thinking while you were gone earlier," she started. "I r-reflected on myself honestly... my actions... my decisions over the past years."

There was a long pause between her words, my heart silently hoped for the better. My heart silently hoped for peace. No shouting, no enraged feelings.

"I've been bad to you..." she admitted. "Do you hate me?"

Nanlaki ang mata ko, I felt tears slowly emerging at the sides of my cheek. Umiling ako. Sumasakit ang ilong ko sa nagbabadyang luha.

I never resented anyone. I just hoped that they would treat me better even though I made mistakes in the past.