Chapter 6

Chapter 6 

Instinct

"Natalia Cecilia..." Abuela called her. "Siempre hazlo bien." Always do well.

Ate smiled at her and then kissed her cheeks. "Sí, Abuela. Siempre me va bien." I always do well.

The time when she will return to Manila is here. Hinatid namin siyang lahat rito sa airport.

Mom hugged her tight while Dad kissed her forehead.

"Always eat on time, Cecilia," Mom reminded her. "I'll be calling your secretary to check."

That's Celana Mondiego for you. Her entirety is Hispanic and when you have a Hispanic mom, they have hard classic accent to nag and they are always on high pitch that sometimes I would think she's angry all the time. Especially to me. My sister is almost in her thirties and here she is. Giving reminders like she's talking to a thirteen years old.

Nilapag ni Ate si Lian kaya hinawakan ko ito sa kamay.

"Papa..." Ate hugged our Dad lovingly.

"Try finding a boyfriend in Manila, anak. Nag-aalala na ako sayo. You're in the ripe age already," Papa joked.

Umiling si Ate. "Ayoko."

"Magiging matandang dalaga na yan, Pa. Wag mo nang pilitin. But if you want a grandchild, pwede namang sa akin unang manggagaling," sabi ni Rahim. "Tell me, so I can start looking for someone to marry now."

My father laughed. "That's my bo-!"

My mother's stern expression halted him.

Mabilis na namaypay si Abuela. My sister looked at him with a blank face and my Mom slapped my brother's arm na nakapagpaigtad sa kanya. Deserve. I can't help but to chuckle.

"Ako ang kakausapin mo sa bagay na iyan, hijo," my mother gave him the fiercest look I've ever seen.

Masekreto si Kuya. Siya yung tipo ng tao na ikakasal ata ng hindi namin alam.

"Hindi ka rin naman makakahanap agad dahil sa kasungitan mo," I added. "You can't even keep your first girlfriend. Unlike what Papa did."

Tumikhim si Papa.

"Studies before marriage, Rahim," Abuela said to him and then turned to Papa. "Marriage inside the church before grandchildren, Adelt," pinanlakihan ni Abuela si Papa ng mata.

"That's enough I need to go now," pagpapahinto ni Ate sa amin. "I don't want to find any boyfriend. I'm contented with my status and life. I've had enough of heartaches and marriages. And I hope that's clear."

We waved my sister goodbye. Pagtalikod ni Ate ay si Rahim naman ang ginisa ni Mama at Abuela habang papalabas kami ng Airport. Si Papa tahimik lang at kinarga si Lian habang nakaakbay sa akin. I can't help but to laugh at the situation.

I have a very peculiar routine every morning. Atleast in my view it is peculiar. At exact 5 am everyday I would wake up and pray for an hour. That includes my self reflection and meditation by understanding stories in the bible. I try hard not to miss it dahil may kamalditahan ako sa loob ko na umiiral tuwing hindi koi yon nagagawa. And also because I don't want to go to the university with a creased forehead.

Monday morning kasama ko ulit si Lau sa unang klase namin sa umaga. We were discussing about the recent and the incoming topics in Psychiatric. Medyo marami-rami yung concepts and topic about mental health kaya maraming babasahin.

"Nowie!" nabigla ako sa biglang tawag sa akin ng kaklase ko sa gitna ng discussion namin ni Lau. Lau looked as like she was ready to eat someone who disturbed us.