Chapter 33

Chapter 33

proposal

When the change is for good, it comes with pain. If you want change then be ready for the pain that comes with it.

My father's death brought change to me and to the household. Hindi ko man maintindihan kung bakit bigla na lang... But all these years... I forced myself to see the light in every darkest points. In every dark moments. Because that's how it should be, there is something we can take up even in the trashiest circumstance.

I need to allow my eyes to see the present, embrace the change, and learn from the pain it caused. In order to move forward.

Ang huling natandaan ko na lang ay nakayakap rin ako kay Rahim habang umiiyak. Pero nagising ako nang nasa kwarto na at katabi si Lian. It was my room but Lian is here hugging me. I stare at her and swayed the strand of her hair blocking my view of her face.

The more I stared at her mas nakikita ko ang resemblance niya kay Papa na mas nakakapagpa-iyak sa akin. Dati ay akala ko na kamukha niya si Abuela, but the more she comes of age nagbabago ang opiniyon ko na iyon.

Her perfectly arched brows and tantalizing eyes. She has the softer virsion of Papa's European features. I can't help but to hug her back while remembering our father. I want to hear Papa's voice again. I want to hear his voice and I would trade anything for it.

"Hey, it's morning. Sergio and I will go out for a jog. Do you want to come?" tanong ni Rahim bigla, he was on full gear already. Nakasapatos na nga.

Mahina akong umiling. "I don't want to..." iling ko.

I am too weak to move. I thought I would have a peaceful vacation but this is not the vacation I was hoping for. I am mourning. Mas lanta pa ako sa lantang gulay. Tired, drained and emotionally unstable. That situation went on for days. And I lost count of it.

I went to my study table and started to read a passage on the Bible like what I used to do for a moment everyday for the past eight years.

"Hey, your friends are looking for you already," Rahim came in. "Don't you wanna go and see them? Satari and Claire misses you so much. Even Osmeña is asking." I know that he was trying to persuade me. Halos isang linggo na akong nagkukulong rito sa kwarto. I'm not making most of vacation and I know he is worried about that. "Sasama ako sa Lanao mamaya, you should come with me dahil aside sa gagala ay pupunta rin sa worship center sa gabi."

I know that, we were talking in the gc yesterday. Nalaman ko nga na pupunta sila tatlo ng Lanao mamaya. I don't know kung sila lang tatlo... But they were asking if I could join them. I'm thinking about it since death anniversary na ni Papa sa ikaapat na araw mula ngayon. Two days after that will be my birthday. Knowing that Rahim will also come, medyo nagkaroon ako ng lakas ng loob na sumama. Idagdag pa yung worship center na nakakuha ng atensiyon ko. Gusto kong puntahan iyon habang nandito ako.

"Sasama ako." I said to him.

Ipinagpaalam naman ako ni Rahim kina Mama at Abuela. Ate was just silent. Habang pinasama na rin ni Mama si Lian sa amin. Ipinasama rin niya ang apo niya. Vier pala ang pangalan ng bata.

"Is Sergio going with you?" tanong ni Abuela.

Umiling ako kay Abuela. "Mukhang may lakad sila ni Ate ngayon, Abuela."

I saw Sergio getting ready because of my sister's sudden appointment. Akala ko pa naman ay bakasyon niya rin ito.

"Sayang, dapat nakasunod sa asawa palagi." Kumento ni Rahim. "But he can come after us right?"

"Sa munisipyo lang naman kami," Ate explained. "Sasabihan ko si Mayor tungkol sa plano kong bus terminal sa Centro ng Cariñas."

I don't have the strength to ride with his teasing. Inirapan ko na lang siya.