the mirror (kinda vent, transKai)

Tw: body dysphoria, self hate

PoV Kai
It's true, I had been a girl for the most of my life, but that doesn't make me less of a guy, I thought after Cole made a weird joke about my boobs.

I couldn't wear a binder at work, it was to dangerous, at least that's what Wu said.

We were in a cave, looking for a jewel that was supposed to protect Ninjago forever.

"Katie? You coming?", my sister called.

"That's not my name and you know it!", I called back.

"Right, sorry. Lloyd said we should split, but mark the way we came from.", Nya explained.

I ended up going a dark path with Cole. I light a fire in my palm so we could see.

Suddenly the light got reflected! We walked faster and reached a tall mirror that was led into the wall.

"Wow, that must be some magic mirror if it's in this cave!", Cole said in awe.

I carefully touched the surface and suddenly it started changing.

Staring back at me was a strong and handsome boy! He had my eyes, my face and my hair color. But he also had a flat chest.

I took a step back and the boy ran a hand through his hair with a cocky smirk. Tears started to build in my eyes.

"Mirror of wishes.", a voice suddenly said.

I didn't turn around, couldn't stop staring at the beautiful boy.

"Katie? We've got company.", Cole growled.

"That's not my-", I started, but the voice cut me short:"that's not his name, right Kai? You're looking at my mirror of wishes, that has the power to let you see what happens if you make your biggest wish come true. Keep watching."

The future was playing like a movie in the mirror. How the team had accepted me and how I sat with the boys.

Tears formed in my eyes.

"To be honest, I never met someone who wished to change their gender. Look at me, Kai.", the voice now said. I turned around to see an old man, almost tiny and with a long beard.

"Why do you want to change? Aren't you beautiful enough?", he asked softly.

I puffed out my chest, but stopped when I remembered the weird bulges that would show even more.

"Just because people always tell me that doesn't mean I wouldn't get anxious when I look in a the mirror. Just because I'm beautiful doesn't make me feel like a girl or make me love this body.", I explained sadly.

"You're not feeling ugly, right? Just wrong. You look in the mirror and somethings terribly wrong, somethings off.", the tiny man nodded.

I sighed.

"And then I put my binder and a baggy shirt on and it looks right. Just like when I cut my hair. Something fell into place!", I almost whispered.

Cole was just watching. He didn't say a word.

"I can't make wishes come true, sadly. But you can. Hold on. You can do it. You are a man.", the tiny creature said and he sounded like he was sure about that.

When we left the cave, nobody found the jewel though, Cole was awfully quiet.

We reached home soon and he went to his computer immediately.

~~~
"Kai? I got something for you.", Cole said, standing in my doorframe. I looked up from the book I was reading.

The black ninja was holding a package.

"The team and I payed for it together and we hope you like it.", Cole then explained and handed the box to me.

I opened it carefully, just to reveal something I didn't expect.

Binders. They had bought three different ones. Underneath them I found some of the boys old shirts and hoodies.

I felt the tears rising. "You know, I couldn't deal with the fact that a tiny man in a cave accepts you more than us, sooooo.", Cole said softly. I put the package down and tackled him to the ground, just to give this big teddybear a big hug.

"Thank you so much! You're amazing!", I cried out.

~a few years later~
My team and I entered the cave slowly. Soon we found the mirror.

"Look who's found their way back. You look handsome, Kai.", the tiny man said out of nothing. I smiled.