Dainsleif • Together

"I promise

"I promise. I'll never leave you behind, Y/N."

You stood in silence as Dainsleif gripped onto your hand while watching his friend pass away, the tears forming in his eyes refused to drop. You squeezed him and wrapped your arms around him, supporting him after watching the passing of Halfdan.

You rubbed his back, his arms to the side as they were numb. Dainsleif ever so gently leaned into your touch at the sight of his body disappearing into thin air, his eyes closing and looking away. He felt awful for lying to him that Khaenri'ah actually did fall hundreds and hundreds of years ago.

"It's okay, Dain. It's okay to cry." You said and he let out a big sigh, upset at the situation that had happened before his eyes. "I'm not going to cry, I'll be fine." He said sternly, pulling away from you and immediately turning on his heel to go away from the area.

You groaned at his stubbornness and followed after him, watching him sit along a ledge that overlooked the Chasm. You walked up to him and plopped down directly next to him, watching the Chasm's floor beneath the two of you.

You both watched the purple fog in silence, your average normal caves would normally have Hilichurls all over the place while most of them are in the ruins of this old ancient civilization, waiting to take their last breath.

You turned your head towards him to make sure he was okay, but his eyes were glossy and his expression seemed uninterested. His eyelids closed and he took one last deep breath before leaning his head onto your shoulder, you then let your head rest ontop of his.

"Someday, maybe I will get my own conclusion. 'Reviving the homeland' isn't needed, my body.. wants to stay." He says with a quiet voice, his hand wrapping around yours. Your body was trembling after his words, you were scared of having to witness him dying.

You understood that Dainsleif would watch you die in the years to come, but you had hope in your heart that the curse would one day be reversed. You wanted to grow old with the Twilight Sword one day, but he wanted to give up.

Your hand was loosely in his hand, you were too in shock to realize that Dainsleif wanted to stay to rid of himself of his horrible curse. He didn't want to live for eternity, he wanted the same dreams as you.

The silence was terrible, Dainsleif himself had moved himself from under your head to look at your face. Without realizing it, your face was stained with tears falling from your eyes. Maybe it should have been Dainsleif crying over the loss of his friend, but you were crying for the potential loss of Dainsleif.

His eyes widened and his hand reached out to grab your cheek, his gloved hand wiping away your tears. "Y/N..." He said with a gentle voice and your eyes glided towards his, his heart breaking at the sight of you.

You put your own hand ontop of his, "We've come so far, Dainsleif. Why give it all up?" You ask him with a strained voice, his expression grim after realizing he had been the person to make you feel like this.

"Why give me up?" You said with a whisper and his forehead gently touched yours, his pretty blue eyes peering into yours. "I apologize. I mean nothing of the sort, you know I wouldn't leave you." His hand wraps around the back of your head and he guides you into his chest, petting your hair as you sobbed.

He moved your entire body onto his lap, his arms around you completely as he attempted to sooth away your sorrow. His lips pressed against your forehead and you felt yourself slowly calm down, you felt better after a few minutes more.

"You promise?" You said and looked up at him with your cheeks tear stained, holding up your pinky finger. He looked down at you with determination and hooked his pinky finger around yours, his face getting closer to yours. "I promise. I'll never leave you behind, Y/N." He said and pressed his lips against yours, sealing the deal.

You both snuggled together for a bit more, planning out how'd you both undo his curse. You would both find out how to do it, then continue to live your lives out until your very past moments together.