[14] ON THE BRINK OF CIVIL WAR

ON THE BRINK OF CIVIL WAR

     Things escalate in the days that follow

The next day, everyone hardly talks as they have breakfast, yesterday's argument still vividly painted in our minds, the tension slowly building up like a balloon being filled with water, ready to burst at any moment. Waiting for one wrong move before all breaks loose.

Clint tried lightening the mood with a joke but to no avail.

Instead, everyone seemed to tense up more, so Clint decided to give it a rest after receiving a nudge on the ribs from Natasha.

I hate seeing them like this. We're supposed to be a team.

I have to do something about this.

"Miss Lee," Vision calls out, "a word?"

Raising a brow, I follow him, far enough to be out of ear's reach.

"Might I suggest you let them figure it out on their own." Vision suggests, no doubt having guessed what I'm up to.

"I know that you are trying to avoid a bigger conflict, but conflict is sometimes necessary."

"I agree. And I know that we need to get over this hill. But how we resolve the conflict, says a lot about who we are and who we want to be."

"I just want to talk them, get more insight into both their sides."

Vision nods in response, letting me through.

Up at the lab, sparks fly everywhere as Tony works on his latest suit.

With a light knock, I make my presence known to him.

"Hey, Tony?" I call out, making him look up from his tech. "Can I talk to you?"

"Sure kiddo." He says, taking his goggles off, offering a smile when I hand him a cup of coffee. "What's on your mind?"

"Well, it's about the registration act." I say, pursing my lips as I lean on one of the tables.

"What about it?" He asks, taking a sip from the drink before placing the cup down.

"Can you explain what they are about?"

Before answering, Tony lets out a sigh, pulling a chair from under the table.

"I know it's a sensitive topic, but I would like to know more about it. I want to make sure that understand what's going on."

"Sure." He says, tinkering with his tech as he begins to explain.

"Two days ago, the team went on a mission and it didn't turn out well. The slip up ended up with big casualties, so as of now, the government is focused on limiting our involvement in certain affairs. But they also want everyone with abilities to register so that the government can keep track of who they are and what abilities they possess, that way we can avoid more destructive incidents that damage property and hurt people."