[27] THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM

THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM

     The compound is too quiet, their routines settling into a regular one after their break.

With a huff, Vanessa kicks her legs up into a sitting position, raising a brow as she hears a new, unfamiliar voice in the hallway.

Who could that be? She wonders, slowly making her way to the door, narrowing her eyes when the figure is out of sight.

Hmmm...

Well, if she didn't imagine it, now she has an excuse to get out of her room and walk around the tower.

Her usual partner in crime had some business to attend to, so now, she is bored out of her mind, wandering around mindlessly until she reaches the lab, finding a new face.

Well hello there...

Knocking on the door, Vanessa slowly enters the room, the other girl watching her with interest as she sits next to her.

"Hi." Vanessa greets.

"Hi." The girl greets back. "Are you part of the team as well?" She asks. "I don't think I've seen you around."

"Not exactly." She answers, letting out a small sigh as she explains. "It's a work in progress."

"I see." She says with a nod, curiosity filling her dark brown eyes as she introduces herself. "I'm Shuri."

"Vanessa." The girl replies shaking her hand. "What brings you to the compound?"

"We came to check on Sargent Barnes." Shuri says. "He seems to be doing pretty well here." She adds with a pleased smile. "We also came to check on the vibranium synthezoid."

"I see." Vanessa says with a nod. "Find anything new with Vision?"

"He's quite fascinating." Shuri says. "But he could use some improvements. Though for now, we just wanted to see what was created with the stolen vibranium." She adds, falling into silence.

"Say, is there anything interesting or fun to do around here?" She asks, looking around the lab.

"Well, that depends." Vanessa says raising a brow. "Is there anything specific you have in mind?"

"Not exactly." She says pursing her lips, a grin on her face as she looks at the girl. "Do you have any powers?"

"I do." Vanessa says with a smile, Shuri's face lighting up as the girl shows her her glowing hand.

"What exactly can you do?" She asks. "Do you have a suit? Do you need a suit?"

"I don't have one yet but—"

"Perfect! Then I'll help you design one!" Shuri says, jumping up in the air, ushering the girl closer as she takes out her tech.

"I have an idea!" She says. "Stand still."

"Oh...okay." Vanessa says, raising a brow as the girl lifts her arms, scanning her body with her bracelet.

"Any suggestions for the design?" Shuri asks, tapping a series of notes and measurements into the screen projected from the bracelet.

"I have some ideas in mind." Vanessa says, lowering her arms. "That's a neat bracelet." She points out.

"You like it?" Shuri says, lifting her hand so the girl can take a closer look.

Said girl, reaches out to touch the beads, each embedded with a different symbol.

"Wow." She says. "This is so cool. I haven't seen anything like it before but it's amazing. Very advanced."