[30] HAYWIRE

HAYWIRE

"Morning." Tony greets as he pours himself a cup of coffee.

"Morning." Vanessa tiredly replies, her hand holding on to the side of her head. "Any chances there's any coffee left?"

"Given how dependent some of us are on coffee, no." Tony says. "But I could make some more if you'd like." He offers, pressing the power button as the girl nods her head.

"You feeling alright?" Bruce asks.

"I'm alright." She reassures with a small smile. "Something just feels a little off."

"Do you want me to check it out? Describe the symptoms. Maybe it's not the best idea to have coffee." He suggests.

"Thanks Bruce, but I'm alright. I think I just have a headache."

"Okay, let me know if anything changes."

"Thanks."

"Anyone else wants coffee?" Tony asks, the rest of the team shaking their heads. "I should make some for Peter as well." He says to himself. "I'm surprised he hasn't come down at all."

"I'll go check on him." Vanessa offers, making her way to his room.

"Pete?" She softly calls out after knocking but there is no response.

She opens the door and notices that it is completely dark, his silhouette visible under the blankets.

"Peter?" She calls out again, gently shaking his shoulder, to which the boy responds with a groan, shifting to the other side.

"What's wrong?" She asks, the boy holding the side of his head as a wave of pain rolls through his brain.

"Are you feeling sick?" She asks, growing more and more worried by the second.

"I'm fine Ness." Peter reassures, managing to sit up with a wince. "Something just feels a little off."

Pursing her lips, the girl nods her head and stands up, giving the boy some space.

"Well, there's some coffee and breakfast if you're up for it. I'm going to start making some."

"Okay. Thanks. I'll be down in a bit." He says, laying back down on the bed as she closes the door.

"Coffee is ready." Tony says as she steps into the kitchen.

"Thanks."

"Is he coming down?"

"Yeah, he said he's coming down in a bit." She says, busying herself with the ingredients in front of her in order to focus on something else.

Minutes later, Peter comes into the common room, slipping into his seat without saying a word.

Vanessa gives him a worried look as she sets a plate of food next to him, the boy holding his head in his arms as he rests his elbows on the table.

Gently tapping his shoulder, she hands him the plate and sits down next to him, Peter giving her a grateful nod as he takes the food.

Breakfast is quieter than usual, the youngest members quiet as they eat their food.

"What's wrong with the kids?" Tony asks, raising a brow.

"That's what we're trying to figure out." Bruce replies, his eyes shifting back to them.

"I swear, these kids spend too much time together." Tony says with a slight shake of his head. "They're even feeling unwell together."