[33] THE DREADED SNAP

THE DREADED SNAP
(NOTE: I'm sorry in advance ㅠㅠ Avengers Infinity War spoilers + angst)

     A deafening silence engulfs them as they stare off to space, the atmosphere heavy as the question sinks in

What now?

No one dares say a word as they try to collect their thoughts, the only sound the distant rumbling of flying debris among other things.

Everything is still for a moment, but then something shifts, the build up pressure suddenly dissipating, allowing for room to breathe.

Instead of feeling relief however, Vanessa feels her stomach turn, her head whipping around when she hears him grunt.

No. No. No. No. Please no.

She quietly begs, barely able to look at him as the guardians slowly start to fade away.

I can't breathe. She thinks to herself, gasping.

"Tony," Dr. Strange manages to say, "it was was the only way." Then giving her one last look, he closes his eyes and fades away as well.

"Um guys?" Peter's voice calls out with slight panic, the boy letting out a soft grunt as he places a hand on his stomach, the sight making her throat tighten.

For a moment, nobody says a word, the panicked look on his face speaking for how they are all feeling.

"Pete?" She calls out, her voice coming out a croak.

She takes a step forward but her body remains frozen in place.

Peter looks at her with an unsure expression on his face, brows slightly drawn together as he takes a step forward.

"I don't feel so good." He says, the girl shutting her eyes tight at his words.

No. No. No. She keeps thinking to herself, as if somehow saying those words will change the outcome.

"You're okay kid." Tony reassures, forcing himself to smile. "You're okay."

"I just-I'm sorry, Mr. Stark." He manages to say, losing his balance in the process as he clings to Tony, who gently helps him sit down.

And then their eyes meet, tears prickling her eyes as he mutters something to her as he fades away.

Neither move a muscle in the seconds that follow, both still processing what just happened, the silence broken when her knees finally give out and she lands on the ground with a soft thud.