[17] AGREEMENTS AND COMPROMISES

AGREEMENTS AND COMPROMISES

The team has much to think about and time is running out. Soon they will be forced to make a decision.

Will they sign the accords, or will they stand on their own?

Everyone mostly keeps to themselves, each drawn into their own thoughts.

Is it really worth it?

Tony knows he needs to talk to her, but he can't bring himself to face her. Not after what he did the day before.

Still, despite everything, he finds himself heading to her room.

The door to her room slides open, startling the girl inside.

"Tony?" She calls out, surprised but relieved to see him nonetheless.

"Can I sit?"

Nodding, she makes space for him on her bed.

"Is everything okay?"

Instead of answering, Tony hugs her tightly, the girl coming to her senses as he speaks.

"I'm sorry sweetheart." He says.

"I'm sorry too Tony." She says, gently patting his back as she hugs him back.

"I was being stupid. When Cap made his point, I just lost it."

"I know Tony." She says, taking his hand. "And I understand, but I'm not the one you should be apologizing to."

He lets out a sigh at that, nodding.

"And, I can't believe I'm about to say this, because I usually don't admit it, but you were right."

"If you tell anyone about this I will deny it."

"Don't worry. I won't tell anyone."

"Do you want to tell me what happened?" Vanessa softly asks, scanning Tony's injured face as he places a hand on his chin.

"I see what you meant." He says, the girl raising a brow at the statement.

"Your warning." He explains. "I saw it in my dream."

"Oh." She says, frowning.

"You were right." He repeats, looking down.

"But a dream?" She asks, clearly confused. "A dream convinced you?"

It is an unexpected way to change someone's mind, especially since the team had been trying to reason with him for some time.

"It was very real." Tony says, his voice distant. "But it wasn't the dream that convinced me. I looked into it, visited the raft, and you weren't far off with your warning."

She nods, gently patting his back as he he runs his hands through his hair.

"I don't know what to do." He says. "What am I supposed to tell the team?"