[10] THE WEIGHT OF THE WORLD

THE WEIGHT OF THE WORLD

     The world shifts around me as I make my way to the tower

     The world shifts around me as I make my way to the tower. Now that the adrenaline has worn off, the weight of the situation has started to sink in, a million thoughts rushing through my head as I pace back and forth.

How many people saw the battle? Did anyone see what I did? What should I do? I can't go back to the tower. Not like this. They'll know something is up.

Calm down. I tell myself. Just take a deep breath.

The battle should be over by now, the sirens and chaos around the city settling down as if nothing happened in the first place.

With a shaky, deep breath, I run my hand through my hair, my fingers hovering over the cracked screen before dialing his number.

After ringing a few times, he finally picks up, the sound of traffic faint in the background as he talks, relief flooding through me when I hear his voice.

"Hello?"

"Pete?" I say in a small voice, slowly sitting on a nearby bench, the world shaking underneath me.

"Ness? Where are you? Are you okay?" He asks, his voice agitated as he talks.

"I-I'm okay." I say in an attempt to reassure him but my voice cracks at the end, making me let out a long breath as I press the bridge of my nose. "I'm near the tower."

"Okay. Good." Peter says. "I'm making my way over there now."

"Umm...Pete..."

The adrenaline makes it hard to think, but I somehow manage to gather my thoughts. "Is it okay if I spend the night at your place?"

"Yes, of course." Peter says without hesitation, then he pauses. "I'll be home in a bit. Will you be okay by yourself?"

"I think so." I say. "Thanks Pete."

My hands shake as I put my phone away, the anxiety finally creeping in as the adrenaline rush fades.

Before making my way to his place, I briefly check the internet for any news of the event.

Fortunately nothing is out yet, that gives me more time to think.

For now, I should start heading to Aunt May's place before it's too late.

Plugging my headphones in, I try to calm myself, losing myself to the constant beat as I observe the people roaming the busy streets of New York, continuing with their lives as if nothing happened.

They're probably used to it by now. I don't know if that's a good thing though.

Without realizing it, I find myself in front of Aunt May's door, my hand instinctively moving on its own making a fist to knock.