[38] WHATEVER IT TAKES

WHATEVER IT TAKES

The Next Day

"Hey everyone," Vanessa greets with a wave of her hand as she walks by the team, taking a few steps back when she sees a new face accompanied by someone she hadn't seen in a while.

"Hey kiddo," Tony greets, "this is Scott. Scott, Vanessa."

"Pleased to meet you," she says, shaking his hand.

"Nice to meet you," Scott says, a big smile on his face as he shakes the girl's hand. "So, you're the girl from out of this world that I've heard so much about?"

"Yes, that me."

"That's awesome," Scott says. "I mean, everyone here is awesome, but that's awesome."

"Thanks," she says, offering a smile, not really knowing what to say.

"Care to join us? We're just waiting for the rest of the team to arrive," Tony explains. "We did get everyone right?"

"Yes," Natasha says, "everyone that's available at least."

"Good. We're going to need as much help as we can get."

"Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, what are we meeting for?" Vanessa asks.

"Right," Tony says, clapping his hands, "We figured out a safe way to travel the quantum realm in hopes to get everyone back. But we need to have a team briefing before we start working on anything."

"I HEAR EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES ARE FINALLY BACK TOGETHER!" A voice booms through the room.

"Hey Thor, good to see you buddy," Bruce greets with a small wave.

"It's good to be back. I was craving some action!" He answers, stretching his arms. "So, what are our plans?" Thor asks.

"We're getting to that," Tony says, "just waiting for—"

As if on cue, a familiar ship comes into view on the landing area.

The Benatar.

Out of the ship come Rocket and Nebula, the only remaining members of the former 'Guardians of the Galaxy'.

"Good. Everyone is here. Let's get to work."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Loud music plays as the team gets to work, pieces of equipment brought in and placed together from all directions, sparks flying everywhere as the geniuses work.

"Stay still, I need to take your measurements," Vanessa says, using a kimoyo bead to scan Bruce's body.

"What for?" He asks.

"I'm designing a special uniform, strong enough for the job."

"I thought we already had suits for quantum travel," Steve says.

"You do, but this one is different," she explains, "this one is designed specifically to be able to handle the power surge from the stones."

"Would that be all?" Bruce asks, eager to get back to work.

"Yes, I got everything I need," she says, offering a small smile.

"You know, I'm kind of worried about her," Bruce says in a low voice, looking back at her over his shoulder as he heads back to his station.

"I know. She's barely been getting any sleep," Steve points out.

"What are we talking about?" Tony says, poking his head in between the two.

"Vanessa," Steve says, glancing at the girl, "we're a little worried about her."

"Did she tell you about the project?"

"Yes, she did. She's been working on it day and night."

"Yeah, that's what we are worried about."

Tony feels sympathy for the girl. He knows what it's like to be so focused on a project that you lose track of everything else.

"Maybe I should go check on her," Tony says to himself, excusing himself as he walks away.

On her desk, Vanessa lets out a heavy sigh as she scribbles down notes, the notes all over the place, the margins of the pages filled with question marks.

It would be a lot easier if either Peter or Shuri were here. They would know what to do.

"Hey," Tony softly calls out so as to not startle the girl as he approaches, the girl lifting her head in response, "you doing okay?"

"I'm alright, I'm just having some trouble figuring this out," She says, pointing to the design.

"Did you eat today?"

"Yeah, I had something earlier," she responds.

"Good," Tony says with a nod, "Look kid, I know you want to figure this out but you should really get some sleep."

"Thanks, maybe later," she says, Tony giving her an awkward pat on the back before walking away.

She knows she needs to rest, but she also knows that she has to put this together before the quantum tunnel is ready.

If she stops now, it's going to be hard to get back on track.

(July 31, 2022)