Chapter 25

TW: Abuse

Ciane

The words that left Christian's lips lingered a while longer in my brain for reasons I couldn't understand myself. He said he meant it and I remember almost vividly what those words are.

You're really beautiful.

They  weren't supposed to affect me or linger that much in my brain but I couldn't stop my thoughts from floating back to him over and over again. It had been two days since he confessed that he meant it. I should know better after what Exus did to me but at them same time, I couldn't stop thinking of him.

He has done nothing to warrant or occupy my mind, but he is there, holding my thoughts captive.

"Are you even listening to me?" Christian snaps me from my thoughts.

I had somehow managed to convince him to watch another movie with me, this time the moving being his choice. He didn't even resist or refused. He even looked quite eager for it. He settled on Spiderman: No Way Home. I hadn't watched it yet and somehow I was looking forward to it. Now, thirty minutes later, I have no idea what it entails.

"What did you say?"

"Don't you want some popcorn?" He hands me the bowl and I smile taking it from him.

"What are you thinking about?" Christian asks.

My mind goes back to when he was drunk a few days ago. Will he get mad if I ask about it? Basing off the reaction he had the last time I asked, I was feeling quite cautious. I didn't want to set him off again. Even so, I couldn't help but ask anyway.

"Can I ask you something?" From my tone I knew he knew what I was planning on asking is quite serious, so he only gives me a solemn nod.

"What happened to your sister?" It comes out as a whisper, almost impossible to hear.

"You know you don't have to answer if you don't want to. I'm just curious because you mentioned her the other day." I continue before he could respond.

He is quiet for a few seconds.

"I don't know if I'll ever be able to talk about it, really." He mumbles and I instantly feel bad about it.

"Ignore me, I'm sorry." I apologize, giving him a small smile which he returns, although obviously fake.

"It's okay, Ciane. I get where you're coming from. I'd be curious too." He says, his lips widening the smile.

This wasn't the Christian from a while back who was always mad, angry and always completely detached. He is talking to me, even reassuring me. I like this new version of him.

"What I can tell you though is that it wasn't good and there was nothing I could do to stop it from happening." He mumbles, eyes falling on the tv that was still playing the movie.

"Is she. . .gone?" I hesitantly ask, afraid of the answer.

"Dead? No I would have felt it but she was taken, kidnapped before I could save her." He says, his voices filled with pain.

I remain quiet and he does too. Our eyes flip back to the tv still playing the movie. What's going on?

"Is it okay if we restart it, I have no idea what's going on?" I chuckle slightly breaking the silence.

"I knew you weren't watching it!" Christian chuckles as he restarts the movie.

"I know you weren't too so don't blame this on me," I grin.

He returns it and I get completely emersed in the movie.

---

I slowly gather the plates in a pile, taking as much as I could to the dining area. My duties weren't heavy this past two weeks because the alpha has not been here. Beta Jonah was left on duty and he is the only good person in this pack. The only one who has ever stood up for me. So, the punishments had lessened too.