𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐓𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐄 𝐇𝐈𝐌 → 𝐊𝐍𝐔𝐂𝐊𝐋𝐄𝐒

❤️

Golden sunlight dazzled between the trees that quietly rippled through the gentle breeze. Careful flow of wind brought heat to the sunny landscape of Angel Island.

The shrine that usually held the Master Emerald was empty, strangely. Stacks of concrete surrounded the place that gave a sense of holiness, footsteps knocking against the stone slabs creating steps leading to the home of the most important gemstone in the world.

Knuckles huffed, shards of shimmering green crystal embedded within his enormous gloved hands. The usual strength that thrived in his limbs felt like it had withered away from the effort of his travels, carrying the incredible weight of the emerald pieces as well as himself across the planet to find them.

As far as he was aware, his quest was complete. As far as he was aware, he had managed to search every nook and cranny of the globe and locate every piece. As far as he was aware, he could reconstruct the mammoth emerald and continue guarding it with his life.

Knuckles reached the top of the steps, wheezing with exhaustion as the emerald shards clattered to the ground. He crouched beside them, carefully picking them up one by one and hastily restoring the Master Emerald.

When he thought he had finished, he scurried around the colossal gemstone. His violet eyes scanned every part of the glistening emerald, the crystal clear shade of green acting like a mirror as his gloved hands carefully dusted it off.

That's when he noticed something not quite right.

Knuckles groaned in defeat, a crack of the emerald still missing. A fist of one hand punched the palm of the other in frustration, the missing shard of the incomplete gemstone sticking out like a sore thumb.

But he didn't realise he was being watched.

(Y/n) cheekily smirked, (e/c) eyes sparkling with mischief as she swung her legs innocently against the stack of taupe concrete surrounding the shrine.

She glanced into her hand, fist unfolding to reveal the one thing the troubled echidna needed more than anything at this very moment.

She could see the disappointment and annoyance in his posture and the defeat in his growls as he continued to punch his hand.

The shard of shimmering green created a viridescent sparkle against the concrete (Y/n) sat upon as she spun it between her fingertips.

She noticed Knuckles beginning to return to his quest, storming with vexation back down the steps of the shrine. She knew she had to speak up or he would go looking for something she had right there in front of him.

"Oh, Knuckles!"

The scarlet echidna stopped dead in his tracks, the tone of the unfortunately familiar voice rippling through the breeze simply irritating him further. He turned back around, fists clenched.

"Oh, great, it's you. What do you want?"

"Looking for this?"

Knuckles gasped, fists unfolding as he darted closer to the pole of rocks (Y/n) sat upon. The glimmer of green immediately caught his attention, fury continuing to burn inside as he knew as soon as something this valuable fell into her hands it would be impossible to get back.

"Hey, give me that!" Knuckles growled through his teeth while glaring up to where (Y/n) perched, a mischievous laugh not making things any easier.

"You know I won't give it to you that easily."

Knuckles rolled his eyes that matched the mesmerizing colour of an amethyst stone.

"What do you want this time?"

(Y/n) continued to chuckle cheekily, Knuckles grasping his hand into an enraged fist once again, hoping it would be the last time he would need to.

She held a finger to her chin in thought, those of her other hand still twiddling with the precious shard of gemstone to make her already angered companion just a little more frustrated.

It seemed to satisfy her.

"Let me think..." she continued to sarcastically ponder about what she would force him to do this time as all her previous attempts flicked through her mind.

Although she already knew exactly what to say...

Knuckles growled once more, raising his voice. "I'm warning you, (Y/n), if you don't give that back right now-"

"I know..." she shrieked with fake realisation.

Knuckles rolled his eyes once more, temper feeling like something of weight plunged into a body of water that your fingers attempted to keep within them, knowing that the weight would eventually cause it to slip from grip.

"You'll have to kiss me!"

(Y/n) continued to laugh playfully as Knuckles' cheeks heated up to meet the shade of his quills.

"No!" He refused.

"But, don't you want this?" She continued to tease, twirling the shard of emerald so a beautifully green strip of light would reflect directly beside the infuriated echidna.

"I do, but I'm not gonna kiss you!" Knuckles groaned, crossing his arms and facing away.

(Y/n) sighed, knowing that there was no arguing this time.

"Fine."

Knuckles turned in surprise, impressively fast reflexes causing him to snatch the emerald from the air seconds after (Y/n) tossed it down to him.

She slowly slid down the stack of concrete, frowning a little in defeat. Her (e/c) gaze sparkled with disappointment as she observed Knuckles slip the final fragment of gem into the gaping crack with achievement.

Knuckles smirked towards the fully restored Master Emerald, the unbelievable power it held within each glimmer of green immaculate stone radiating from it immediately.

(Y/n) passed him without a word, heading for the staircase to exit the shrine. Knuckles dusted the palms of his hands against one another with pride as he examined the reinstated emerald.

That's when another mischievous thought crossed her mind as she continued to leave the altar, a cheeky smirk crossing her face while she spun on her heels.

"You owe me a date now..."

"WHAT!? NO WAY!?"

(Y/n) dashed across the tranquillity of the island within a fit of laughter, an embarrassed Knuckles remaining beside the emerald he would now protect with all his power again.

His violet gaze watched her leave, her almost sweet laughter fading into the distance. Knuckles sighed, carefully brushing the crystalline surface of the bright green stone, a vision of himself reflecting through its clarity.

A small smirk crossed his muzzle, his cheeks returning to a faint shade of pink as he shook off the thoughts of (Y/n)'s strangely entertaining behaviour, returning to his usual daily business.

❤️