𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐒 𝐘𝐎𝐔 → 𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐊 𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐈𝐂

🖤

Midnight shadows lurked beneath the windows and snuck up the brick walls like vines as thin as weakened bones, jolted at the cemented cracks. A twilight mist, shielding the darkening sky like dribbles of foggy ink slowly melting. No stars decorated the blackness, but a ghostly moon managed to break through the phantom clouds in a streak of silver.

Darkness faded inside as if it evaporated effortlessly through the window's glass, bleeding that same vicious black into the traumatised house. Although something flickered a splash of light in the very corner, illuminating the majority of the bedroom with a vivid amber. Wax was liquefied from the heat of the little flame, spreading through the metallic and elderly disc the candle sat in.

Beams of crisp gold wobbled as the flame shivered, the air still as frozen stone certainly cold, but in a spine-chilling manner. It felt like the fog of the night had whispered through the house, invisible fingers toying with the candle until the fire bent completely out of place. It crinkled softly, the darkened orange brushing the carpeted floor like disco lights, but with a saddened shadow shattering a full luminant circle.

Sonic wished to pinch the flame, its constant movement feeling like the pathetic thing he needed to tip him over this emotional cliff that already felt on the verge of crumbling down. Its aureate touch glazed over his vivid green eyes, usually sparkled with enthusiasm and that seductive determination, but tonight, they were drained. He glared at it with silent displeasure, although he wouldn't take his considered childish risk to lose a lonesome source of heat and luminescence for the rest of this spooked night.

Roughly, he lounged at the windowsill, elbows kneaded into the smooth wood breaking through the wall and into the eerie night. His tired body leant forward, so close to the window his breath puffed thick mist across the cold glass. Auric bursts from the dancing candle swept through his reflection, and Sonic's dreary gaze winced as it varnished over that gruesome image. It sprinkled salience over what he attempted to leave shrouded by the dark behind him, and it seemed his throbbing heart tugged him around with no permission.

Weakly, Sonic glanced to where the autumnal orange flickered behind him, like a warming curtain dressing up the bed interrupting the glow, with the silhouette resting to it his mind both wished to forget yet craved to remember. His quills smoothly wandered aside from his briskly turning head, yet his body felt tense at the torso and throbbed in the chest. He felt as frail as the window - weak enough to crack.

A regretful sigh demolished the silence forcing the air to become muggy, and Sonic's hands jammed into his closed eyes at the rim of his gloved palm. It hurt at first, but his heart felt the most painful. Every touch that bolted with a strike of discomfort seemed to channel straight to his chest, and it shuddered with each dispirited breath. Sonic scrunched his eyes harder, but it just brought back the trauma rather than eliminate it, and felt like bubbling tears were ready to spill.

It was unbearable, and he felt nothing but ridiculously helpless. Sonic harshly rubbed his eyes with his knuckles, like a sleepy baby, but the enticing luminance broke through his blacked out vision and weaved his interest elsewhere. The urge was irresistible, and the vivid blue hedgehog knew he couldn't ignore the presence of the inerasable past screaming for attention while lurking steps away from him and abusing the candlelight's flow.

He had to address it, and he knew he couldn't leave it locked in the shadowed cold. The day prior still graced with angered clouds from the breakage of its already dark dawn felt torn to shreds from the claws of villainy that even had the powers to do such a thing, and the event felt ghostly to Sonic, haunting him from behind with chilled breaths rippling down his spine. It felt drawn to the heated air behind in hideous ink, and the hedgehog's shoulders anxiously twitched with his heart begging for him to move.