𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐇𝐈𝐌 𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐂𝐇𝐎𝐎𝐋 → 𝐌𝐎𝐕𝐈𝐄 𝐓𝐀𝐈𝐋𝐒

💛

A squeak hissed into the tarmac of the road. Thick, black tarmac that streamed for another mile or so and glistened to highlight its unhackneyed layer of asphalt, but the vehicle using it to transport the many people crammed inside needed to stop here.

It was a bus, glowing in vibrant yellow for the whole street thriving alongside its destination to see in a glance. Drawing all the high-spirited attention to itself, the bus released a final hiss like a snake targeting its prey, the doors opening with a fizzle of steam to allow the overflowing swarm of people to slither away as soon as the first blink of sunlight entered said bus.

(Y/n) watched everyone practically piling atop of one another bleed like a weeping wound slicing into the side of the bus that had dented the seats before her.

But comfortably, she remained in the back seat, leaning into the navy blue velvet of the bus' closure accommodation without a care in the world that everyone else had left.

She was alone in the vehicle that she so desperately wanted to fill the air of with a scent more satisfying and soothing to the nostrils than the sweat of fellow students, other than the miserable driver she could tell to be becoming impatient from her immobility.

She sighed, grasping the backpack dumped to her left with something much more important nestling against the fingertips her hand to her right.

Another little hand, to be exact.

Tails, her fox friend beaming in the bright shade of yellow that ultimately competed with the shade of the bus' exterior, cowered by her side.

His fluffy face laced with a muzzle of creamy white didn't express that same luminous emotion as the colour of his fur, a frown carved within it accompanied by quivering eyes and droopy ears that would usually be perked up to absorb every sound.

But today was a bit different. Today, (Y/n) decided it was time to take Tails somewhere she knew his heart currently beating in unhealthy fits of panic belonged.

School. The home of the education she knew the little fox would need. And to be attending the same site she was familiar with herself, what could be the worst to happen?

She knew Tails had a passion for books and learning and the excitement of a new fact or figure being planted in his mind to grow into a tree of knowledge in his later days, and since a place such as this overflowed with it, she knew he'd love it.

He just needed to conquer the first step - leaving the bus.

Tails quivered with nervousness, eyes that glistened with the same stunning shade as the facet of a sapphire remaining fixed to the road flowing to the other side by the many houses forming the street.

The school awaited his entrance on the other side, and he could feel its impatient stare burning into him like a laser setting fire to his saffron shoulder.

He flinched at the sudden touch of (Y/n)'s hand slipping into his, his little body feeling vulnerable even to the gentle breeze he knew to be present outside. Anxiously, he turned to her with a smile she instantly recognised to be screaming in falsity.

"Ready?" She questioned with prominent empathy, Tails wheezing with a sigh much like how the wheels of the bus squealed in a breath of exhaustion.

(Y/n) warmly smiled to put the little fox at ease, understanding Tails' insecurity of similar environments from stories he'd told her of his life back on his home planet far away from Earth.

His twin tails quaked behind him from the shiver the thought snaked down his fragile spine, forcing the source of his past life's bullying to tremble in fear of such treatment to be triggered by somewhere surrounded in kids his own age again.