Chapter one page one

None of this would have happened had I not accidentally mixed up and went home with a stranger. Mother was deathly sick, and I only 9, mother had taken me to go to the pharmacist to get some medicine. I headed to the bathroom, only this year was I trusted to go by myself. Once I finished, I washed my hands and headed out to find her again. I saw her black puff jacket, so I followed it. We walked all the way to the car in silence, me not talking because of her occasional headaches. She unlocked our grey Honda, that was splattered with the mud of our travels. Mother walked to the passenger side to put the plastic bag down, then brought her shopping cart to the others. I had hopped into the left back seat and buckled in. Mother came back, and we were on our way home.

My eye lips drooped until they were shut, and I left to my dreams. I could never tell you what I dreamt of 5 minutes into the ride home, I never could.

Jolting awake after hearing a bang I had opened my eyes to see that I was not in the car anymore. The room looked like one out of the cottage magazines that my mother always read.

Taking the warm quilt off my body I had sprung up lively, my hair was out of its two braids, my black hair still had ripples where the braids were. Running out of the cottage, barefooted in a field with flowers. My shirt and jeans had been replaced by a baby blue dress made of the softest materials I have ever felt.

As I ran, I grabbed the crown made of sticks and basil leaves. Too afraid of losing it, this place had a magical feel like a home that would never be mine, And I want to remember it forever, but I had to get to my mother.

Soon my feet headed for town, hitting a rock like road with each step.

I could feel people's confused gazes, like they could not tell whether I was a predator or a prey, a friend or foe. How I wanted to stay here forever, to buy warm bread from the blue faced baker, or to learn stories from the fighters, to hear stories of heroes from the kind looking woman with a flower skirt, or to buy flowers of all sorts out of a cart from a girl my age.