chapter 3 page 18

"Bowie was looking everywhere for you" Snuffles had escaped her lips as she tried to stay stern. "We were se worried, you could have been dead for all we knew" She more mouthed the word dead as if it would bring on a curse or I would disappear.

I felt bad and my heart ached for her, I made her worried, I caused her stress and hurt.

Still it was not my moment I was not the one who was unconscious, or at least I hope that was all it was. Besides, she would be fine I was here I was okay. But Davi wasn't.

Davi made a gurgle noise as if she had attempted to talk. It caused enough of a distraction of the attention from me to her. Like it should be. But it also got my attention, it felt like if I didn't listen something bad would happen.

Like it was going to be her last words.

And I was scared of that, she was my best friend, we had planned to grow old together. This was not how she was supposed to die. Davi wasn't supposes to die at all.

May had taken off the rag that once laid on Davi's head sticky with her blood. I set the strawberries on the stand next to the cot saving them for her once she was at least conscious.

On small trouble groan from Davi, her cut up lip parted slightly, was all it took for me to kneel down to her bed trying to wake her up.

First, I moved the hair out of her face.

Then, I slightly and as gently as I could I shook her face by the side of her head. She body was limp as I held her. It was my fault.

She was too young to die.

She grew paler and paler by the minute.

How selfish could I be? I left her, defenseless, it was an accident waiting to happen. And I was the one foolish enough to make the mistake that let it happen.

I was not afraid of my death, it was inevitable a thought I come to terms with. But I did fear Davi's death. I could feel my body getting ready to shut down with grief. My limbs turned numb with the pressure I was forcing on them. My haunches ached with all my weight and guilt resting on them.