CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

"Joaquin, kaibigan ko 'yon." napataas ako ng boses. "Kaibigan ko si Kenzo. Naiintindihan mo naman 'yon 'di ba?!"

At that moment, I couldn't comprehend why he acted that way. I couldn't predict or control my feelings for him. And he holds more significance to me. We are now outside the gate. I don't care what people say here and all the cars that pass by. We were fine earlier in the house and then it's going to be like this just because of my friend?

The world's trick is this: you experience happiness for a fleeting moment, only for great sadness to follow. Can't happiness exist without being followed by forced sadness?
Sobrang daya talaga ng mundo, pinagdadamot 'yong kasiyahan na inaasam ko.

"I get it all, Shain!" he yelled. "You just don't get where I'm coming from."

"So, it's still my fault?!" I blinked back tears, tilted my head and sighed."Wow! Lance, sino ba ang pumunta dito? Ako ba I didn't ask you to come here. I didn't ask you to text or call me. And I certainly didn't ask you to worry about me."

Pumikit ako maraan at para mahabol ko ang hininga ko. "That's not me, Lance. That's you!"

He lips quivered as he stared at me. "Shain, I never said anything was your fault. Not a word. Did you hear me blaming you?"

He looked up. I saw the tears in his eyes that he was trying to stop from falling. "I haven't said anything to you, Shain! Not a single word!"

"I'm sorry for coming here. . .I'm sorry for not asking for permission. . . Sorry for texting even though I know you won't reply, but. . . I hope you will, Shainny. I'm sorry if I added to your problems," his voice broke, and he looked down, trying to conceal his emotions. "T-tangina naman kase, Shain! I can't help but worry about you. I've been so concerned. . . You've been absent from school, and I keep wondering how you are. Even your friends don't know what's going on with you. I'm left wondering if you're sick, if something bad happened. . . Are you okay? That's all I can think about!"

He stood properly, looking at my eyes. "Hindi ako mapakali, eh. I can't shake this feeling until I know what's going on with you. . .There's just so much on my mind, Shainny. Too much."

I was stunned by him as he said that. I don't know why I feel hurt now in front of it. I don't know how to speak how I can talk to him. I was able to look away because every time I saw his red eyes from the liquid dripping down his cheeks, I was crushed even more. Ilang minuto namayani ng katahimikan sa aming dalawa. Walang gustong nagsalita sa amin. Ni isa sa amin ay walang nagabalang magingay. Tanging iyak ang bumabalot ngayon bilang ingay. 

"S-Shainny. . ."he wiped the tears that fell from his cheeks before he faced me.

"Is it wrong to worry about someone I already care about? Is it. . . bad? Just tell me!" he demanded, his eyes shut tight. "Do you understand?"

I met his gaze, fighting back tears as I nodded. His jaw clenched, tears streaming down his face.

"It's not wrong. It's. . . not wrong, Lance," I stammered.

"Didn't I say it before? If you can't take care of yourself, I'll do it for you. I'm here for you," he replied firmly.

"But even though I'm here, you still can't see me," he added, voice barely above a whisper. "I'm right beside you, but your heart seems elsewhere. . . Your mind is somewhere else."