Special Chapter 2: Haunted Mansion pt.3

The doors they had pushed open seemed to be endless for Lily and Diana. They were sprinting at top speed, which was impressive for them who had never taken part in a marathon before. It felt as if the hallway was endless with each door they opened.

  "What's with this hallway?!" Diana cried out in desperation. She knew they could take a break but they didn't want to rest, at least until they find themselves a good resting spot.

  Lily was panting heavily. As a palace maid, she had never run around this much before unless she played tag with the young princess or if there were a lot of chores to be done with. She gulped. "This must be the work of a supernatural being! I don't remember hallways being this long!"

  They had no idea of how long they were running. Lily cursed as she pushed open the door, which was uncharacteristic for the usually graceful nanny. Perhaps something cracked inside of her.

  Diana smiled weakly. "L-Lily, Athanasia would not like it if she hears you cursing like that..."

  Lily let out a scream as she kicked open another door this time. Diana thought she was seeing things, but she thought she had seen the nanny smiling slightly... It seemed she was having fun despite the frustrating situation they were in.

  "You look like you're having fun!" Diana said as she too kicked open the door in front of them. She now understood why Lily was having fun with this. Adrenaline kicked in.

  "You look like you're having fun as well!" Lily smiled.

  The two ladies laughed with each other as they continued to burst down the doors in front of them. They hardly noticed the ghosts who were behind the doors since they were slammed into their doors before being slammed to the wall.

  Unfortunately, they also failed to notice a certain red-haired knight who was probably the unluckiest person present inside the mansion. When they kicked another wooden door open together, they finally stopped running once they heard a familiar scream.

  "Sir Felix!" Diana and Lily cried out his name before turning their heels. They rushed to the knight whose eyes were spinning in circles, his legs weak from the sudden impact of the door being slammed into him.

  Once he had finally calmed himself down, Felix widened his eyes when he realised the presence of both ladies. "L-Lady Diana! Miss Lily! Are you both alright? You're sweating a lot..."

  Ah, Felix Robane. There was a reason why people compared him to a loyal dog that's concerned for his owner's well-being.

  Lily shook her head and gave him a thumbs up. "We're more than alright, actually. Ever since our first encounter with a ghost, we just ran." She decided to leave out the part where she carried Diana since it wasn't necessary for him to know. "Who would have thought that bursting down some doors would be this thrilling."

  Felix smiled, exhaustion evident on his face. His face looked paler than usual and sweat was falling down his skin. "I'm... glad that you're having some fun while we're stuck in this... excuse me for my crude language... hellish mansion."

  Diana and Lily laughed at him. "We should get going and search for an exit. Would you like to join us, Sir Felix?" Diana asked him but before the knight could give his answer another door slammed open.

  The three turned their heads and wondered if they were hallucinating when they saw Claude de Alger Obelia, the current emperor of the Obelian Empire, a man who had killed a palace full of concubines, a jerk in general, being carried bridal style by his own brother, the previous emperor who had been dethroned by Claude.

  "Am... am I seeing things?" Diana asked Lily and Felix. She rubbed both her eyes.

  "Unfortunately, no," was their answer to her.