Chapter 59

"This is... a friend of mine," Roger explained to Jennette, introducing the black-haired man to the girl.

  "Now that is a big fat lie," Lucas said. He glanced over at the two men before rolling his eyes. 'They have the same kind of chemistry as an old bickering couple.'

  Jennette smiled weakly. "It was a pretty bad lie, Uncle Roger," she told the duke. "I actually did have some doubts when I heard you hesitating a bit before calling my father a friend of yours," she confessed before clearing her throat, her cheeks a faint shade of pink. "I almost thought that you were both hiding something from me. For example... your actual relationship."

  "... Huh?" Roger and Anastacius spoke at the same time.

  Myra chuckled before she patted both men on the back. "What Lady Jennette is trying to say is that at first, she assumed that the both of you are actually seeing each other romantically!" she explained. "Isn't that lovely?"

  Anastacius and Roger tried to register what she just said, looked at each other and visibly shuddered.

  "No, Miss Myra," Anastacius told her. "It is not lovely."

  "Exactly. Why would I ever want to get myself involved with someone like him?" Roger folded his arms across his chest and sighed. "Actually, what kind of person would ever want to get involved with someone like him of all people?"

  "... Her apparently," Anastacius pointed at Myra before smiling smugly. The latter just smiled innocently at Roger before apologising to him when he stared at her judgementally.

  The man who Jennette met at the marketplace not too long ago placed a hand over his chest and bowed slightly in front of her. "Please excuse my intrusion this late at night, my lady."

  "N-Not at all," Jennette stammered. "It's me who should be apologising..."

  "It's getting quite late." Roger moved so he blocked the man from Jennette's point of view. He loomed over the girl. "What did you come here for?"

  "I'm sorry, I just heard voices..."

  "You'll catch a cold dressed like that," the duke continued without letting Jennette finish her sentence. Whether it was because he was slightly concerned that she would get cold or if it was just that he wanted some more alone time with this man, he told her to return to her bedroom. "So please, hurry back to your room."

  "O-Oh!" Jennette realised that she was still in her nightgown and cardigan. It was inappropriate of her to be so underdressed in front of two gentlemen.

 It was inappropriate of her to be so underdressed in front of two gentlemen

  "I... I beg your pardon!" she apologised profusely before scurrying off back to her bedroom. Before turning the corner, she looked over her shoulder and noticed the man smiling knowingly at her, a finger pressed against his lips.