Chapter 58

"It's a gift for you," Athanasia said to Jennette as she placed the bracelet with a purple string and a golden-coloured charm into the palm of the brunette's hands.

  "This is..." Jennette looked at the bracelet, confused as to why the princess would suddenly give it to her suddenly.

  "They say it will grant you a wish if you keep it on," Athanasia replied. At least, that was what the seller told her when she was looking through the many accessories at his stall.

  "Sellers just say that to make people more tempted to buy their stuff," Lucas said while shaking his head. "Don't tell me the princess actually believes that stuff. I mean, it's understandable if Jennette's the one blindly trusting whatever sellers say... but her?"

  "Hey!" Jennette cried out. Then, thinking about what Lucas said more thoroughly... her anger towards him immediately diminished. "... I honestly can't argue with you because I literally trust whatever people are saying to me all the time."

  "Now that's just sad," Lucas said. 'Well, at least she's maturing enough to question what people put into her ears now.'

  The sun had already set. The town's streets were still crowded with people, most of them looking forward to the fireworks show at the end of the festival. Stalls and buildings were lit up by the warm brightness coming from lanterns hanging outside.

  'It's not much, but she gifted me a ribbon last time,' Athanasia thought. If she could, she would've loved giving Jennette a bracelet that was higher in quality. She waited to see how Jennette might react to the simple gift, praying that she won't be disappointed.

  Then, Jennette looked at the bracelet with adoration, a warm smile plastered on her face.

  "I always treasure the gifts anyone gives me," Jennette said with a smile. The joy she felt when Athanasia gave her the bracelet was... indescribable. It was the first heartfelt gift she had ever received and she would treasure it forever. "I never felt so much joy from a simple bracelet..."

  No doll or dress or piece of jewellery could ever replicate the happiness Jennette felt when Athanasia gave her the bracelet.

  ... Too bad that the bracelet's not with her right now.

  '... Why do I feel like I have to compete with Claude's daughter in winning over Jennette's love and affection?' Anastacius thought to himself. He was already planning out what he should consider gifting his daughter. Perhaps a little locket would be cute... Or maybe the best thing he could give her was spending time together. '... A picnic at a lake sounds nice...'

  "Thank you. Thank you so much." Jennette grasped the bracelet tightly in her hands. She smiled brightly at the princess who blushed slightly. Without sparing a second, she put on the bracelet on her small wrist.

  'No, really. It's nothing.' Athanasia felt a bit sorry that this was all she could give Jennette.

  As the two girls talked to each other, the black-haired man was standing not too far from them, watching them.