Chapter 60

The palace was as extravagant and grand as how Jennette remembered. The last time she had set foot on the palace grounds was when she came to the princess' tea party. She felt so small standing in the large library of the Garnet Palace. In the distance, Roger was discussing with one of the old magicians of the Black Tower about... something. Jennette couldn't exactly hear what they were talking about. Something important, most likely.

  'Uncle seems busy,' Jennette thought. She decided to take a few steps closer to hear what they were talking about.

  "I see that your land has also seen hail, Earl."

  "A dam exploded due to heavy rain from the recent abnormal climate changes."

  "... Honestly, I kind of underestimated just how much damage the World Tree had done to the rest of the world while I was fighting it," Lucas spoke up while rubbing the back of his neck. Of course, he knew the consequences of harming the tree whose condition and mood greatly affect their universe, but after finding out about the tragedies that came along with it, Jennette's aunt being a primary example, he couldn't help but feel guilty.

  But at least his mana was replenished.

  "... Fighting?" Ijekiel raised an eyebrow. "Lucas, you were bullying the poor tree."

  'The documents have been settled. I was nervous since I was standing in for Ijekiel, but it was easier than I thought.'

  ... It was a bit boring to just stand around, not doing anything.

  'I'm bored,' Jennette thought while she quietly stepped out of the library. She wandered around the hallway for a bit until her eyes caught sight of...

  The Emerald Palace.

  The princess' palace.

  '... The garden there was very pretty,' Jennette thought. All of Athanasia's tea parties took place in the Emerald Palace's large garden. She remembered the princess briefly mentioning the rose section of the garden was her favourite. Without thinking much, she walked forward to the direction of the palace. 'Even though the princess is not here right now...'

  "Jennette, you know it's wrong to just walk around the imperial palace like that freely," Roger told the girl who just nodded her head slowly. 'Thank goodness she didn't receive any sort of punishment for roaming around like that... And because of her exploring the palace a bit, the emperor granted her an audience with him.'

  "I couldn't really help myself to explore the palace a bit," Jennette mumbled. "My apologies..."

  Anastacius looked at her daughter with a small frown. Did the duke really have to word it like that? He knew Roger somewhat cared for Jennette, but god he was awful at expressing it. "Jennette dear, tell me. You just enjoy exploring around anywhere, don't you?" he asked her. "That's why you decided to wander around the palace even though you're not supposed to?"

  "... Yes, father?" Jennette answered.

  'Who would have thought that my daughter would have a bit of a sense of adventure despite always being contained in the Alpheus manor.' Anastacius smiled to himself. "Well, if that's the case, how about we go exploring together in the future? If you want, we can even travel outside of Obelia and visit any one of the neighbouring countries."

  "As if they would allow someone who was a famous tyrant ruler before being stabbed in their countries," Claude muttered under his breath. "... Not to mention, someone who was supposed to be dead years ago."

  Anastacius really did live up to his name's meaning.

  Jennette's eyes seemed to sparkle. "R-Really? Are you serious?" Seeing her father nodding his head made her even more excited.