Chapter 63

"Your Highness, you've returned!"

  Lily immediately dropped whatever she was doing before and got out of her seat upon seeing the familiar face of the princess who had run away. She rushed towards the windows and pushed them wide open.

  "Where have you been all this time?" Lily asked her.

  "Well, the easiest answer would be that she's been lying low in the main capital of Obelia the whole time... which doesn't make any sense for her to do that because why would she want to stay in a place that is most infested by guards who are actively searching for her," Lucas said out loud with his arms folded across his chest. "Additionally, she's also taken the opportunity to visit Jennette multiple times... which is nice of her to do, I guess."

  "It is a bit stupid of her not to try getting out of the town closest to the palace," Anastacius admitted. "Honestly, if she did want to make sure she doesn't get caught by the patrollers and get dragged back to the palace to meet Claude, it would have been better if she had gotten out of the main capital and stayed hidden in any one of the neighbouring provinces." That's what he did years ago anyway and his real identity was never known by the villagers he encountered. Perhaps it was mainly because he already had black hair and black eyes at the time to disguise himself.

  Myra hummed. "It would have been interesting if Lady Athanasia visited Siodonna. It could have been a good chance for her to know more about her mother's place of origin."

  "Oh, that is actually a pretty nice idea," Diana said. She would have loved seeing her own daughter getting to know more about Siodonna and its culture. "Claude, do you mind taking our daughter to Siodonna every once in a while? I'm sure she'd enjoy the place, especially when there's a huge festival going on. I'm sure she'd love it!"

  Claude just looked at the dancer blankly before sighing. "Not at all, Diana."

  Athanasia could only smile at Lily, acting as if she never left in the first place. "I came to visit because I thought you'd worry."

  "I was so worried..." 

  The princess tensed up and took a step back, caught in the warm embrace from the woman who had taken care of her since she was a baby. She hugged Lily back.

  "Are you hurt anywhere?" Lily asked her as tears welled up in her eyes.

  "Don't worry, I'm fine!" Athanasia reassured Lily. "I'm sorry I couldn't contact you earlier."

  "No, it's okay. I'm just glad you're here. Is anyone there?" Lily began to cry out, hoping that her co-workers heard her. "Bring us some fruits-"

  "A-Ah! No! No!" Athanasia stopped Lily from finishing her sentence.

  "It's still very cute to see that you treat her as if she's your own daughter, Lily," Diana said with a bright grin on her face. "You know, if I ever survived after giving childbirth, I would actually love to raise Athanasia with you."

  '... I kind of enjoy that thought.'

  That was what Lily would have said if it weren't for the intense glare she received from a certain emperor of Obelia. She had no choice but to smile stiffly at Diana. "Aha... Diana, maybe you shouldn't say something like that when His Majesty is sitting right beside you."

  "It's fine," Athanasia said. "I just stopped by for a moment while trying to stay out of daddy's sight. So please don't call anyone."

  "For just a moment?"

  Sadness was evident in Lily's voice. She cupped Athanasia's face with her hands and lifted the girl's head up slightly, making sure that she was not hallucinating and the princess really was standing in front of her.