Chapter 64

It didn't take long for Ijekiel to take Athanasia to one of the unoccupied guest rooms of the Alpheus manor, with Jennette following them from behind.

  'I still can't believe she's been staying in the manor the whole time without me even realising it,' Roger thought. The fact that Anastacius actually knew about this but never said anything about it to him just for fun made him even more annoyed.

  Myra looked at Roger and smiled weakly at him. "Are you alright there, Sir Roger?" she asked while poking his arm, snapping him back to reality.

  "Hm? Oh, I'm fine. I'm just... mildly annoyed that a certain someone never told me about this."

  Ijekiel thought it was him who his father was upset with... until he saw him glaring at Anastacius who simply smiled innocently. 'Jennette's father knew that the princess was staying in the manor this whole time?'

  "Are you going to hurt me because I didn't tell you about the princess staying in your manor?" Anastacius asked in the most innocent voice he could muster before he grabbed Myra's shoulders and hid behind her. However, since he was taller than her, he couldn't really use her as a hiding place. 

  "You are so childish, my god," Roger bluntly stated while giving Myra a look. A look that clearly said 'This is the person you want to spend the rest of your life with?'

  Myra just smiled apologetically at the duke as she tried to calm both men down.

  The guest room had the basic furniture any bedroom would have. A bed, some chairs, a desk to study at and a closet. There was a window which looked out of the garden. It was not as big as her bedroom in the Emerald Palace but it was not as cramped as the rooms she had stayed in while still in hiding.

  "It looks cramped," Claude stated bluntly, staring coldly at Ijekiel. "I thought you'd provide her with a room more comfortable, young lord."

  Ijekiel forced a smile, not wanting to show that he was a bit afraid that his life could end over something as trivial as this. 'Is he really upset that I couldn't give her a better room? I could have done so but the princess was really happy with the room.'

  "Claude, as a normal citizen who's never grown up in fancy palaces or mansions, I have to say this." With a loud sigh, Diana placed her hand on Claude's shoulder. "That room Sir Ijekiel offered Athanasia? It looks pretty spacious. As long as Athanasia is safe and sound and has a nice place to stay while she's hiding from you, it's fine, okay?"

  It was perfect.

  "I've restricted servants from entering as much as possible," Ijekiel informed her. "They will only come in to clean at requested times."

  Athanasia almost cried, grateful to finally have someplace comfortable to sleep in. 'I'm so moved!' she thought. 'I've been wandering around from inn to inn.'

  Diana pointed at the screen. "See? Even Athanasia's satisfied with the room."

  "... Fine," Claude grumbled, knowing he could never win an argument against her.

  Behind them, Jennette stood still near the door, feeling a bit left out.

  "I wish I could lend you a bigger and fancier room, but..."

  Was Ijekiel being serious? This was more than enough for her!

  "No need! I'll be able to live comfortably now thanks to you!" Athanasia exclaimed, grateful that Ijekiel was helping her. "I really appreciate it."

  "..."

  In the background, Jennette still hadn't spoken a single word. 

  Jennette smiled weakly and let out a nervous laugh. "It was really hard for me to join in on the conversation since both of you were really going at it with the talking."