Chapter 52

Fortunately for Ijekiel, he managed to catch up to the princess. His footsteps came to a halt when he caught sight of her in front of him, sitting on the floor. Judging by the lone kitten heel not far from her, she tripped and fell a few seconds ago.

  "Princess Athanasia."

  She didn't flinch, nor did she turn her head around to look at him.

  Ijekiel, ensuring her that he would not do any harm to her, slowly approached her. "Pardon me, princess," he said in the softest voice he could muster as he knelt down behind her. He picked up her shoe and held her right ankle.

 He picked up her shoe and held her right ankle

  ...

  Ijekiel awkwardly cleared his throat, shifting uncomfortably in his seat. He noticed the stares he was getting from both Jennette and Lucas. Perhaps the emperor was also looking at him with a cold glare but he didn't feel the usual chill he'd feel whenever the man actually did that. "I... was only doing the one thing I was able to do in that situation," he explained. "Besides slipping her shoe into her foot for her, I also helped her up and accompanied her for a short while until she told me to leave her alone in the palace garden."

  "What a nice person you are," Lucas said, sounding sarcastic in his remark. However, deep inside him, he was slightly glad that Ijekiel was one of the few people who were looking out for Athanasia while he was away.

  "I'm sure Athy is grateful for you helping her out, Ijekiel," Jennette said with a small smile. Ijekiel just smiled back at her before they all paid attention to the screen again.

  Athanasia did not say anything to him. She watched in silence as Ijekiel slid her shoe onto her foot. His hands were slender and delicate, as expected of someone of nobility who rarely had to do any hard labour. His hold on her ankle was gentle as if he didn't want to accidentally hurt her.

  What a gentle boy he is...

  Endless questions flooded Ijekiel's mind but he didn't dare to burden the princess with them

  Endless questions flooded Ijekiel's mind but he didn't dare to burden the princess with them. What exactly happened between her and her father? Did they get into a fight? Why did he call her all those horrible things just now? Did he lose his mind?! How could he be so cold to his own daughter when just a few months they were dancing together happily during the debutante party?