Chapter 33

Jennette widened her eyes, realising just how rude she must have been for suddenly approaching the royals. "Ah. Pardon me, Your Majesty." She curtsied. "I was too forward. Blessings and glory upon the Obelian Empire."

  Athanasia looked at her father from behind with an anxious expression on her face.

  "How do you not notice her panicking behind His Majesty?" Lucas asked Jennette.

  Jennette sighed and scratched the back of her head. "To answer your question in the easiest way... I was simply staring at His Majesty with awe. I was too excited to meet him up close but can you blame me really? I've always thought he was my father before the truth was revealed."

  Lucas glanced at the emperor on the screen and the emperor with them who quirked an eyebrow while eating a slice of pepperoni pizza. By the way, the pepperoni pizza? Diana got that from the dining area and decided to let everyone try out a slice. "Oh, I completely understand now," Lucas said. 

  Jennette's blue eyes were sparkling with excitement, honoured to be acknowledged by the two royals who she thought were her family members. Before anyone could say anything else, Athanasia was the first to react and quickly approached the brunette girl. "I only just realised that I had lost it. Thank you for returning it to me."

  "It's my pleasure," Jennette responded. She smiled brightly at the princess. "I haven't even introduced myself yet."

  Lucas snorted. "No need to do that since it's clear that she knows you well enough."

  The screen flashed to the portrait of Penelope Judith.

  Claude glanced at Diana who for some cracked her knuckles the moment Penelope was shown on screen. 'Diana... can be really intimidating if she wants to be,' he thought. He then smirked as he ate his pizza slice with a fork and knife. 'Well, I don't mind it.'

  "My name is Jennette Margarita," she said as she bowed down. She didn't even notice the flinching princess.

  Claude only stared at the newcomer. "Margarita," he repeated her surname. "So you're that child Alpheus has taken under his wing."

  Jennette's eyes lit up brightly as she took a couple of steps toward him. "Have you heard of me before?" she asked him. As she looked up at him with eyes full of wonder, Claude tilted his head in confusion.

  'She... She is the real deal Jennette alright!' Athanasia stared at the brown-haired girl with wide eyes as sparkles surrounded the girl.

  "I don't remember having stars and sparkles surrounding me," Jennette commented.

  "You're quite bold," Claude said monotonously. "Is it because you were raised by Alpheus?"

  Jennette simply giggled politely. "My apologies."

  Claude could only stare at the brunette girl who was smiling sweetly. For some reason, there were flowers behind her, making her seem like a fairy in a flower garden. Then, he smirked. "I see."

  Lucas made an o shape with his mouth. "Ooh, I think His Majesty has taken a small interest in you, Jennette."

  "Lucas, you're making it sound weird. Stop it," Ijekiel said exasperatedly.

  "Why did you make me sound like a...," Claude tried to find an appropriate word to use that would not scar the young girl who probably knew a lot more than people thought without them knowing. "Like a..."

  "A creep?" Anastacius suggested before slowly pulling his daughter closer to his chest, hugging her. He had a calm smile on his face but you could tell that he was preparing himself to destroy his brother at any moment.