5 - Forty-two

5 x 18 ~ Maid of Gévaudan_________________________________________

_________________________________________

Leo's POV

Fear and panic. Screams, cries, shouts, footsteps racing to find somewhere to hide. These were things I never expected to witness at my high school, and yet, I did.

In the span of a hour, the beast turned what was supposed to be a fun, charity game for the less fortunate, into a fear-induced act of hide and seek. I had lost sight of Liam and the others in the panic. By the time I made my way to the bus, both Liam and the beast were gone, there was a trail of blood, and people were running into the school to escape.

I made my way inside through the locker room, and I heard everything. Every scream, every panic-filled cry, every rapid heart beat, and it an overload to my senses, and I hated the feeling. But what was worst, was the roars of the beast as it tore its way through our school. Persons bumped into me as they ran, then someone ran into me but fell back onto the floor, so I turned to help them before they got trampled, and that's when I noticed who it was.

"Sydney? You okay?" I asked her, her heart was racing as she shook her head,

"What is that thing?" she asked, she begun to pant and I knew if I told her the truth she would only go into a full scale panic attack,

"You wouldn't believe me, if I told you, and I know that seeing is believing but this is all to crazy to even start to explain," I said to her, suddenly a loud roar and sound of door being crash towards came from further into the school and from the way Sydney yelped I knew she heard it too, "Sydney, look at me you calm down, and find somewhere to hide,"

"I-I don't think I-I can c-clam down," she stuttered out, and I sighed as I looked back in the direction of more screams then to her,

"That thing can hear your heart racing, it can smell your fear, if you calm down it won't find you among the rest of people in the school," I told her, she tried to steady her breathing,

"H-How do you know?" She asked,

"I know a lot of things, like the crush you have on Lydia," I said with a small smirk and her heart stopped beating as her face turned red, "See, now trust me, calm down and find somewhere to hide,"

She nodded as she pulled away an ran into the school, but away from the noises of the beast. I took a breath and steeled myself, the both times I faced this thing I had Jordan nearby to protect me, but now I was on my own with the others, so I had to fend for myself, and the only thing standing between the bystanders and the beast, was us.

"I need to find the others," I muttered as I raced through the school, it hard to hear there voices through the screams that filled the halls, so I had to keep moving in hopes of coming across one of them, "Scott, Liam, Malia, hell even Stiles,"

I came around the corner just in time to see Scott sliding across the floor, into the wall.

"Scott!" I called out to him, I ran over and helped him up, only to feel a cold glare on the side of my face, I turned and faced the beast, glaring at us, "You get uglier each time I see you!"